A King-Sized Program, Confirmed
January 14, 2019
Public Information Officer
ST. PHILIP’S COLLEGE AND COMMUNITY PARTNERS CONFIRM 2019 MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR., HOLIDAY SEASON PROGRAM
A bevy of patriotic, civic-friendly and useful services and activities for the unique holiday optimizes eventgoer destination experiences for individuals, families and groups
St. Philip’s College and community partners today confirmed several patriotic, civic-friendly and useful services and activities for the 2019 Martin Luther King National Day of Service and March observance in San Antonio.
Individuals, families and groups can optimize their destination experiences for the unique holiday with the following information:
- VIA Metropolitan Transit operates a park-and-ride site at St. Philip’s College for day of service march activities on Jan. 21 in college Parking Lot 22 and Parking Lot 23 at 1801 Martin Luther King Drive. Find all details on taking advantage of that service by contacting VIA at (210) 362-2020.
- St. Philip's College students are ceremonial participants in the city’s free MLK Wreath-Laying Ceremony Jan. 19 at 2 p.m. at the Martin Luther King, Jr., Plaza at the intersection of E. Houston and N. New Braunfels St. The keynote speaker who students will have the honor of hearing from is Dr. Colette Pierce Burnette, the first female president and chief executive officer of Huston-Tillotson University, Austin’s oldest institution of higher learning and only Historically Black College and University member institution.
- St. Philip’s College students, alumni, partners and employees participate in the city’s 2.7-mile march with an 8 a.m. start time on Jan. 21. Register online by Jan. 18 to march-and-serve with the college at https://www.alamo.edu/spc/mlk-march/. Find details at the city’s e-calendar, and keep an eye out for St. Philip’s College students who traditionally promote college programs and services during the city’s Commemorative Program that concludes the march route at Pittman Sullivan Park at 1101 Iowa St.
- New for 2019, college Commercial Driver’s License Program volunteers will serve in college Parking Lot 10 at 1801 Martin Luther King Drive with a display of one 70-foot-long truck as they host informal truck selfie enthusiasts while sharing information on jobs in their industry. This on-campus service coincides with marchers passing college Parking Lot 10. All are welcome to circle back and visit Lot 10 for informal photos with the truck and the truckers up to 30 minutes after the march experience ends.
- Because college Parking Lot 10 runs along the march route and is populated with an overflow of supporters, the lot also hosts press, bloggers and social media providers all reporting, interviewing, documenting and streaming live within the gathering at Lot 10 at various times in the program. The jazz staff at KRTU 91.7 FM provides a live broadcast service Jan. 21 at 10 a.m. at Lot 10 as station personnel pay tribute to the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., ideals through the programming of music. Find all details on that service by following KRTU online.