St. Philip's College Celebrates Topping Out of Norris Technical Building
January 22, 2020
|A ceremony held on January 22, 2020, marked a significant milestone in the Capital Improvement Projects underway at St. Philip’s College. Alamo Colleges District Trustees Dr. Gene Sprague (D6), Dr. Yvonne Katz, (D7) and Jose A Macias, Jr. (D2) joined Chancellor Dr. Mike Flores; St. Philip’s College President Dr. Adena Williams Loston; Ryan Aalsma, SKANSKA executive vice president/general manager; and SPC students and employees in the celebratory "topping out" of the Norris Technical Building (NTB). The ceremony was the second “topping out” event to be held for a project funded by the district’s 2017 $450 million bond program approved by Bexar County voters.|
The Norris Technical Building was built in 1970 and originally completed with three floors. A fourth floor was added in 1972. The building was named in 1975 in honor of Clarence W. Norris Sr., Dean Emeritus, who served as the second President of St. Philip's --1954-1969.
Trusse Norris, son of Clarence W. Norris Sr., attended and participated in the highlight of the event, the signing of a steel beam. The beam was signed by event attendees, then raised by an immense crane to the top of the area of the building.
The renovated NTB will continue to house the Reading and English departments, Instructional Technology (IT) and Information and Communication Technology department. It will also host the Learning Lab, the Reading Lab, the Tutoring and Technology Center (TNT) and the Rose R. Thomas Writing Center. Several SMART® Classrooms and training labs will be located throughout the building.
To learn more about the Capital Improvement Projects at SPC, click here.