FAQs and Steps to Complete Verification
What is Verification?
Verification is a
review process in which the Student Financial Aid office determines the
accuracy of various data elements reported by the student/parent on the FAFSA.
The U.S. Department of Education selects approximately 30% of all aid
applicants for verification. The verification process ensures that eligible
students receive all the financial aid they are entitled to receive and
prevents ineligible students from receiving aid they are not entitled to
receive. Those selected are required to complete the verification process
before financial aid eligibility can be determined.
How do I know if I was selected for the Verification Process?
- Look for an asterisk * on the SAR (Student Aid Report) sent to the e-mail address you provided on your FAFSA. Click here for a sample.
- Your ACES will also list unsatisfied requirements (as red flags) in the Financial Aid Checklist section of the 'Start Here' tab.
What if I was not selected?
If you are not selected, you could still be asked to provide other information to complete your file (ex. Citizenship or Selective Service confirmation). Your ACES Financial Aid Checklist displays any required documents or additional information needed.
What unsatisfied requirements will I see in ACES?
The financial aid office will post all required documents to your ACES account.
What is a tax return transcript?
A tax return transcript is an official document from the IRS listing all income tax information. Information on how to obtain a transcript is listed below.
Can I submit a 1040 or tax transcript from a third party agency (H&R Block, TurboTax)?
No. Only an official tax return transcript can be accepted.
How long does verification take to process?
If you submitted your completed verification documents by the Priority Date, your documents will be reviewed and eligibility determined before classes begin.
For students who are not priority applicants, the verification process can take up to six (6) weeks. Visit the Priority Date page for more information on non-priority date applicants.
How can I monitor the status of my verification?
Once documents are submitted you can monitor the status of verification by going to ACES.
Steps to complete Verification
Click here for a list of all the Priority Dates and Deadlines.
- Access ACES and check outstanding requirements from Financial Aid
- Complete all fillable PDF(s) requested from Financial Aid
- If asked to submit tax return transcripts and you do not have a copy, order them online at the IRS Website
- Submit all requested documents (in person, fax, mail, or scan and email) to the college with which you are applying for financial aid. Remember to bring appropriate proof of identity if required to complete the Identity and Statement of Educational Purpose form.
September 1 is the final date to submit verification for the most recently ended academic year. Verification documents for the current academic year may be submitted at any point during the academic year, however, you will not receive a financial aid award until you have completed this process.
Avoid the common mistakes when submitting documents
- Missing documents
- Unsigned documents
- Unreadable documents
- Incomplete documents
- Issues with your FAFSA
- Changes to your FAFSA after submitting your documents
- Incorrect information (Name, SSN, Date of Birth)
- No Banner ID on documents