• SPC Historical Building

    Bishop Johnston Building Circa 1920s

History

Join us as we continue a history of achievement!

1898
  • James Steptoe Johnston, a bishop of St. Philip’s Episcopal Church of the West Texas Diocese, founded St. Philip’s Normal and Industrial School, a school designed to educate and train recently emancipated slaves.
  • Opening March 1, 1898, the school began as a weekend sewing class for six black girls, taught by Miss Alice G. Cowan, a missionary with the Episcopal Church.
  • During this period, the institution was known as Bowden's School.
1902
  • Artemisia Bowden, daughter of a former slave, joined the school as administrator and teacher.
  • Miss Bowden served St. Philip’s College for 52 years. Under her leadership, the school grew from an industrial school for girls into a high school and later a junior college.
  • During this period, the institution was known as Bowden's School.
1917
  • The school moved from La Villita to its present location.
1927
  • After several building additions, St. Philip's became a junior college for the black community of San Antonio and the area.
1931
  • During the Great Depression, the Episcopal Church was unable to continue financial support for the school it founded.
  • Bowden, the president of St. Philip’s College, fought to keep the school afloat. Considered the savior of St. Philip's College, she frequently used her own money to pay teachers and to keep the doors open.
  • In a fundraising effort, she traveled around the country with a quartet of singing students soliciting donations for the historically black college.
1942
  • The school, retaining the St. Philip’s Junior College name, affiliated with San Antonio College and the San Antonio Independent School District, marking the end of the college’s era as a private institution.
1945
  • An elected district board of trustees, named the San Antonio Union Junior College District (now Alamo Community College District), assumed administration of the two colleges.
1955
  • St. Philip’s College began admitting white students, and San Antonio College began admitting black students.
1987
  • St. Philip's added the Southwest Campus, a hub for technical training programs and formerly part of Kelly Air Force Base, as an official campus. It had previously served as a district extension center.
1990-1997
  • A multi-million-dollar capital expansion added major buildings; a state-of-the-art theater complex at the MLK campus; the Northeast Learning Center in 1996; and the Learning and Leadership Development Center in 1997 (in collaboration with the City of San Antonio).
1998
  • St. Philip's College celebrated its 100th anniversary with a series of events throughout the entire year.
  • SPC began it's LVN to ADN mobility program.
2007
  • St. Philip's College re-established a relationship with St. Philip's Episcopal Church, the school's founding church.
2008
  • First Presidential Scholarship under the College's new leadership empowers students to serve others.
2009
  • The Welcome Center, Center for Health Professions, and Center for Learning Resources are now open to welcome students.
2012
  • Dr. William Conan Davis was on honored on Friday, October 19, 2012 with the naming of the Science Building dedicated in his honor for his many contributions.
2015
  • Nearly 50 years after her death, Artemisia Bowden, a teacher and administrator at St. Philip's College for more than a half-century, continutes to garner plaudits. The latest is recognition by the Episcopal Church as a Holy Woman. The 78th General Convention of the Episcopal Church in Salt Lake City authorized adding Bowden's name to the liturgical calendar in "Holy Women, Holy Men: Celebrating the Saints." August 18 is her designated feast day.
2016
  • The Re-instate LVN to RN Mobility Program at St. Philip's College is a one-year program consisting of three consecutive semesters utitlizing online, face-to-face and lab/clinical experiences to meet the educational requirements for the students to become Registered Nurses.
2017
  • Guest attended two facility grand openings Wednesday, August 9, 2017 the college's Good Samaritan Veterans Outreach and Transition Center (GSVOTC) located at 202 Connelly Street is a repurposed building in partnership with the City of San Antonio and the newly renovated Turbon Student Center (TSC).
2018
  • On March 1, 2018, St. Philip's College celebrated 120 years of pride in the community with a celebration at both Martin Luther King and Southwest Campuses.
  • On March 2, 2018, St. Philip’s College held it’s 10th Annual Scholarship Golf Tournament receiving donations from various donors participating in the golf tournament.
  • SPC announced on June 27, 2018, the college formally received the plaque commemorating their 2018 Texas Award for Performance Excellence from the Quality Texas Foundation
  • On November 15, 2018, U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross named the Alamo Colleges District a 2018 recipient of the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award.