Palo Alto College Information Technology Services (ITS) is committed to assisting the campus community with the transition to remote learning, teaching, and working.
ACES & Technical Support
Palo Alto College Helpdesk
Hours of Operation
Alamo Colleges Helpdesk
Hours of Operation
Frequently asked questions
I don’t have access to technology equipment. How can I request to borrow equipment for working remotely?
- Laptop checkout and loaner equipment is available on a first-come, first served basis (by appointment only). Requests can be made by contacting the PAC ITS office by:
Where can I pick up requested equipment?
- Pre-approved arrangements can be made with ITS for safe pickup.
What is the process for requesting and picking up equipment?
- Contact PAC ITS to make the request.
- ITS will prepare the equipment and make ready for pickup.
- Pre-approved arrangements will be made with ITS for safe pickup and equipment checkout documentation.
- ITS will provide a brief overview, share helpful resource locations, and address any questions.
What is VPN, and who needs it?
- Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a secure connection for employees to access Alamo Colleges servers when you are not on campus or district offices.
- VPN is required for services such as Share Drive Access, Banner Access, Ad-Astra Access, and Remote Desktop.
- You will not need VPN to access ACES, Canvas, AlamoShare, Outlook, or Zoom.
I need VPN access. What do I do?
- All employees have been granted access to VPN. However, the installation of the VPN application requires assistance from ITS.
- Contact ITS to have the VPN application installed and configured on your computer.
- Personal equipment must be reviewed by ITS prior to connection to Alamo Colleges VPN.
I do not have access to high speed internet. Am I expected to pay for internet access?
- To help ensure the campus community has the access they need for remote learning, teaching, and working, Palo Alto College has designated parking lot 11 as a Wi-Fi hotspot for students to access campus Wi-Fi. Everyone is encouraged to stay in vehicles and practice social distancing. View Wi-Fi hotspot map
- Students: Programs are available to bridge the digital divide by providing students free or low-cost internet service. Learn more
- Employees: The Alamo Colleges will provide full-time staff, faculty and adjuncts with a telecommunication allowance. If you have a challenge related to equipment or internet access, please contact your supervisor for assistance. If you cannot work remotely, then the stipend will not be paid.
Start Smart with Remote Ready Boot Camp
- To prepare for remote learning, students are encouraged to take the one-hour Remote Ready Boot Camp (RRBC) training in Canvas.
- Click on Canvas in ACES, scroll down in your dashboard until you see your college’s name and Remote Ready Book Camp.
- It will help you to watch this video on RRBC.
What is the Remote Employee Toolkit, and where can I find it?
- Access the Remote Employee Toolkit at alamo.edu/remotetoolkit for resources to help your transition, such as:
- VPN instructions
- IT Services
- Telephone guides
- Employee directory
- And more