THE SCOBEE EDUCATION CENTER & PLANETARIUM
June 2019 Friday Night Public Show Schedule
Public shows at the Scobee Education Center Planetarium are presented only on Friday evenings when parking for the general public is available on campus. NOTICE: SAC’s address is 1819 N. Main Ave. with free parking in Lot 16 and the five level parking garage in non-reserved spaces. Our building is located in the center of campus across from the Candler Gym and between the Nail Technical and Chemistry/Geology Buildings
Friday at 6:30pm – “LITTLE STAR THAT COULD” – This is our family show. All ages may attend. "The Little Star That Could" is a story about Little Star, an average yellow star in search for planets of his own to protect and warm. Along the way, he meets other stars, learns what makes each star special, and discovers that stars combine to form star clusters and galaxies. Eventually, Little Star finds his planets. Each planet is introduced to the audience along with basic information about our Solar System. Show duration: 40 minutes. Tickets go on sale at 6:00PM.
Friday at 7:30 PM – “THE SKY TONIGHT” – Children must be 6 and above to attend. This program takes the audience on a “live” tour of the wonders of the San Antonio sky. The show highlights the Moon, the evening and morning planets, plus we’ll identify several of the brightest stars and constellations visible in the current sky. The Sky Tonight is a "live" lecture. Show duration: 45-50 minutes. Tickets go on sale at 7:00pm.
Friday at 9:00 PM – DOUBLE FEATURE, “SECRETS OF THE SUN” AND “TALES OF THE MAYA SKIES”
“SECRETS OF THE SUN” – Children must be 6 and above to attend. An intimate look at the roles the Sun plays in the life of our Solar System. From the nuclear forces churning at the heart of the Sun to the mass ejections of solar material into surrounding space, we experience the power of the Sun and its impact of the planets and ultimately life on Earth. We trace the Sun’s life cycle, going back to its beginnings and moving forward in time to its eventual death.
"TALES OF THE MAYA SKIES" – Children must be 6 and above to attend. Come experience a digital full-dome production that immerses the audience into the Maya astronomy, art and culture through a custom music score and computer visuals. Come explore the beauty of Chichén Itzá, Mexico, the “seventh wonder of the modern world.” “Tales of the Maya Skies” inspires and educates through its description of the Maya’s accurate astronomical achievements and how astronomy connected them to the Universe. Show duration for double feature: 1 hour. Tickets go on sale at 8:30pm.
The Scobee Planetarium ticket sales have been brisk during the 30 minutes prior to show times. It is encouraged that visitors arrive early if they plan to be seated. There are only 101 seats in our theatre and the shows often sell out.
- Tickets can be purchased at the ticket office inside the Scobee Education Center 30 minutes prior to show time. Tickets may be purchased with credit card, cash or check.
- Seating is distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. Groups should be together at the time of ticket purchase to ensure that all members of the group are present when the doors close. Shows start promptly at the designated times and due to the nature of the planetarium theatre, late entry is not permitted. Shows last 40 to 60 minutes in length.
- Birthday parties renting the spaces in the Scobee Education Center are provided 25 seats in the planetarium show following their gathering. These individuals are seated first as a result of this agreement. The Scobee Education Center does not sell advance tickets or take reservations separate from these birthday party agreements for Friday night shows. Birthday reservations are subject to availability of the Briefing Room, Mays North Lobby and programming.
See show schedule for age restrictions. Age restrictions will not be waived for the 7:30pm and 9:00pm programs.
Ticket sales begin 30 minutes prior to show time at the Ticket Office. Capacity is exactly 101 seats. Come early. Shows start promptly and late admission is not permitted. Tickets and seating are "first come-first served." No reservations taken.
Parents, please do not ask us to waive the age restrictions for the 7:30pm and 9:00pm shows.
Children under 17 - $4.00 per show
Adults age 18 and above - $5.00 per show
Seniors 65 and above - $4.00 per show
Military with ID - $4.00 per show
Students, faculty, & staff of Alamo Colleges $2.00 per show with current ID.
For more information, visit our Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/scobeeplanetarium
The Scobee Education Center at San Antonio College is located at 1819 N. Main Ave (78212).
As a result of the SAC Campus Revitalization Project starting in 2019, parking is available in unreserved spaces in Lots 16, 23 and the five-level parking garage off of N. Main Ave. Guests will need to walk through campus to the west, past the Moody Learning Center and Chance Academic Centers. Our center is nestled in the center of campus across from the Candler Gyms and Kinesthetic Center and between the Nail Technical and Chemistry & Geology Buildings. Look for the distinctive blue Cheever Star Tower at the corner of our building and the terrace where our front doors are located.
Google Map Location: https://tinyurl.com/scobeeeducationcenter
Walking Directions from the Nursing and Allied Health Center/Lot 23
Once your group and chaperones are unloaded from your buses and together, walk north along the sidewalk folowwing parameter of the Nursing and Allied Health Center building, turning to the left around the north side of the building.
Passing the greenhouse on your right, you will reach the end of this sidewalk at the main north-south walkway. Turn right here and continue to the first left-hand turn past the Nailt Technical Center Building.
Follow this sidewalk between Nail Tech and Center for Academic Enrichment and you will see the blue iconic Cheever Star Tower at the corner of our building appear ahead of you. Walk around the tower to find the ramp and the stairway to our front terrace and the call button for our front doors.
- Public programming is available on Friday Evenings only. School, camp and community group programs are available by reservation only during other times and dates. It is recommended that large scout and community groups prearrange their own programs instead of meeting at the public presentations in order to have everyone in their group seated. If you are coordinating a large group, please, contact our center to make special group arrangements during weekdays prior to the Friday evening public performances. Call 210-486-0100 or email sac-ScobeeCtr@alamo.edu
- Educators may download a summary of the planetarium presentations through the Scobee Educator web site at: https://challengerscobee.org/educators/
- The entire Scobee Education Center and planetarium are closed on the following dates for college vacations, holidays and private events: Jan. 21, 2019, March 4, March 11 - 15, April 19, April 27, June 20, July 4 -5,
For more information or to make a field trip reservation, contact:
Monica Gutierrez, Administrative Services Specialist
Reservations Email: sac-ScobeeCtr@alamo.edu
Rick Varner, Center Director
For information regarding sponsorship of events, programs, or exhibits, contact:
Natasha Sobers, Coordinator of Program Development
For more information about the Scobee Planetarium, contact:
Michelle Risse, Planétarium Coordinator
For more information about Challenger Learning Center missions and education programs, contact:
Jennifer Becerra, Lead Flight Director/Academic Program Coordinator
Celina Terrones, Academic Program Specialist
Campus mailing address (not physical location)
San Antonio College campus
1819 N. Main Ave
San Antonio, TX 78212
Physically located approximately 1 block east of the intersection of San Pedro Ave. and West Park Street. Enter campus east on W. Park Ave. Free parking in non-reserved spaces is available in Lot 21 and Lot 29. Look for the large blue Charlie Cheever Jr Star Tower across Lot 21 to your left.