THE SCOBEE EDUCATION CENTER & PLANETARIUM
We are not yet open to the public for Friday night programs. School groups that maintain COVID-19 protocols may register for programs during the business hours Monday through Friday.
At this time, the Scobee Education Center will not be providing physical programs; however, we will be providing virtual programs throughout the summer. We will maintain our web sites, Facebook and other social media connections for fluid updates as we work from virtual office spaces.
The Alamo Colleges District is conducting classes remotely due to the coronavirus situation. This includes the main campus of San Antonio College and its satellite locations and offices. For registration and other information, visit the SAC website at https://www.alamo.edu/home/ .
For updates on our operations, please go to alamo.edu/coronavirus or email email@example.com. Thank you for your patience and cooperation as we work to safeguard the health of our students and employees.
VIRTUAL PLANETARIUM PROGRAMS
- (Individual presentation) Virtual 2nd Friday Planetarium Presentation: Come learn about the constellations, planets, deep sky object, and more that you can see in the sky right now from the comfort of your own home. Every first Friday of the month during summer, we will host live Virtual Sky Tonight Presentations starting at 7:00pm. It is just $5 per Zoom account. Although the planetarium is current closed to the public, we want to connect with you virtually to bring you the wonders of the night sky safely. We hope to open our doors back for public shows This fall and look forward to seeing everyone again.
- September 10, 2021 at 7:00pm
- Register HERE
- September 10, 2021 at 7:00pm
- (Group presentation) Our planetarium programs are designed to be “grade-specific.” If you have questions about program content and which show to choose, ask our reservation secretary, Monica Gutierrez at 210-486-0100. The “Sky Tonight Live” presentation is the only astronomer led presentation offered for up to 100 students via the Zoom Web platform. Plan your next sky adventures with our Planetarium Coordinator, Michelle Risse at mrisse2@alamo.
- Purchase your tickets HERE
Since 1961, two million San Antonio school children and community members have learned about stars, planets, black holes and distant galaxies at the Scobee Planetarium. With the extensive renovation completed in 2014, the Scobee Planetarium now offers a more dynamic experience to even more visitors. Planetarium renovations include 100 individual reclined seats, a new light and sound system and the most advanced digital projection system.
In addition to daily field trip presentations for all grades, the Scobee Planetarium offers Friday night public presentations at 6:30 (Family Showing), 7:30 The Sky Tonight live presentation and 9:00 movie presentation. Children must be 6 yrs or older to be admitted to the 7:30 & 9:00pm programs.
Tickets are currently credit card, cash or check only and sold 30 minutes prior to the presentation in our ticket booth. Sorry, no debit sales at this time. All members of the party should be present when tickets are purchased, once the doors close, no one is admitted late to the presentation.
*DISCLAIMER: We are not yet open to the public for Friday night programs. School groups that maintain COVID-19 protocols may register for programs during the business hours Monday through Friday.
The Scobee Planetarium ticket sales have been brisk during the 30 minutes prior to show times. It is encouraged that visitors arrive early if they plan to be seated. There are only 101 seats in our theatre and the shows often sell out.
- Tickets can be purchased at the ticket office inside the Scobee Education Center 30 minutes prior to show time. Tickets may be purchased with credit card, cash or check.
- Seating is distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. Groups should be together at the time of ticket purchase to ensure that all members of the group are present when the doors close. Shows start promptly at the designated times and due to the nature of the planetarium theatre, late entry is not permitted. Shows last 40 to 60 minutes in length.
- Birthday parties renting the spaces in the Scobee Education Center are provided 25 seats in the planetarium show following their gathering. These individuals are seated first as a result of this agreement. The Scobee Education Center does not sell advance tickets or take reservations separate from these birthday party agreements for Friday night shows. Birthday reservations are subject to availability of the Briefing Room, Mays North Lobby and programming.
See show schedule for age restrictions. Age restrictions will not be waived for the 7:30pm and 9:00pm programs.
Ticket sales begin 30 minutes prior to show time at the Ticket Office. Capacity is exactly 101 seats. Come early. Shows start promptly and late admission is not permitted. Tickets and seating are "first come-first served." No reservations taken.
Parents, please do not ask us to waive the age restrictions for the 7:30pm and 9:00pm shows.
Children under 17 - $4.00 per show
Adults age 18 and above - $5.00 per show
Seniors 65 and above - $4.00 per show
Military with ID - $4.00 per show
Teachers with Official School ID - $4.00 per show
Students, faculty, & staff of Alamo Colleges $2.00 per show with current ID.
For more information, visit our Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/scobeeplanetarium
The Scobee Education Center at San Antonio College is located at 1819 N. Main Ave (78212).
As a result of the SAC Campus Revitalization Project starting in 2019, parking is available in unreserved spaces in Lots 16, 23 and the five-level parking garage off of N. Main Ave. Guests will need to walk through campus to the west, past the Moody Learning Center and Chance Academic Centers. Our center is nestled in the center of campus across from the Candler Gyms and Kinesthetic Center and between the Nail Technical and Chemistry & Geology Buildings. Look for the distinctive blue Cheever Star Tower at the corner of our building and the terrace where our front doors are located.
Google Map Location: https://tinyurl.com/scobeeeducationcenter
Walking Directions from the Nursing and Allied Health Center/Lot 23
Once your group and chaperones are unloaded from your buses and together, walk north along the sidewalk following perimeter of the Nursing and Allied Health Center building, turning to the left around the north side of the building.
Passing the greenhouse on your right, you will reach the end of this sidewalk at the main north-south walkway. Turn right here and continue to the first left-hand turn past the Nail Technical Center Building.
Follow this sidewalk between Nail Tech and Center for Academic Enrichment and you will see the blue iconic Cheever Star Tower at the corner of our building appear ahead of you. Walk around the tower to find the ramp and the stairway to our front terrace and the call button for our front doors.
- Public programming is available on Friday Evenings only. School, camp and community group programs are available by reservation only during other times and dates. It is recommended that large scout and community groups prearrange their own programs instead of meeting at the public presentations in order to have everyone in their group seated. If you are coordinating a large group, please, contact our center to make special group arrangements during weekdays prior to the Friday evening public performances. Call 210-486-0100 or email sac-ScobeeCtr@alamo.edu
- Educators may download a summary of the planetarium presentations: 2021 Planetarium Show Listings w/TEKS