Scobee Planetarium Public Presentations Friday Evenings February 2019
Friday evenings the Scobee Education Center planetarium opens at 6:00pm for public planetarium programming when parking is most readily available in Lots 16 & 23 of the San Antonio College campus. These lots are accessed from 1819 N. Main Ave and require a two block walk west through campus to our center. Tickets are sold 30 minutes prior to the start of each presentation in the Lackey Camp-Casper Ticket Booth located in the center. Online advance sales and reservations are not available. Seating is first come, first seated and the theater has a 101 seat capacity. Please, do not request that staff waiver the age restrictions for the 7:30pm & 9:00pm programs.
6:30pm "Secret of the Cardboard Rocket" - This is our family show. All ages may attend.
Embark on a celestial adventure as two children spend a night touring the solar system inside their “cardboard spaceship” guided by their navigator–a talking astronomy book. Produced with state of the art animation, astronauts young and old will enjoy this imaginary journey to the sun and each of the planets.
Show duration: 40 minutes. Tickets go on sale at 6:00PM
7:30pm - “The Winter Sky Tonight LIVE” - Children must be 6 and above to attend.
This program takes the audience on a tour of the wonders of the San Antonio seasonal sky as presented by the Scobee astronomers. The show highlights the Moon, the evening and morning planets, plus we’ll identify several of the brightest stars and constellations visible in the current sky. The Sky Tonight is a "live" lecture.
Show duration: 45-50 minutes. Tickets go on sale at 7:00pm.
9:00pm - Double Feature: "Secret Lives of Stars" & "Violent Universe"
Secret Lives of Stars: Not all stars are created equal. Some are massive. Others are tiny; almost insignificant. The specific characteristics of a star will determine what type of life it will lead, how long it might live and even the type of death it will die. We will witness the amazing variety of stars and peer into their secret lives.
Violent Universe: From the upheaval of a giant star that explodes to release its material into space, to a future encounter between the Earth and a large asteroid that passes too close for comfort, we will witness the forces that hold the universe together and occasionally try to rip it apart.
Total Show duration: 58 total minutes. Tickets go on sale at 8:30pm.
The Scobee Planetarium ticket sales have been brisk during the 30 minutes prior to show times. It is encouraged that visitors arrive early if they plan to be seated. There are only 101 seats in our theatre and the shows often sell out.
- Tickets can be purchased at the ticket office inside the Scobee Education Center 30 minutes prior to show time. Tickets may be purchased with credit card, cash or check.
- Seating is distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. Groups should be together at the time of ticket purchase to ensure that all members of the group are present when the doors close. Shows start promptly at the designated times and due to the nature of the planetarium theatre, late entry is not permitted. Shows last 40 to 60 minutes in length.
- Birthday parties renting the spaces in the Scobee Education Center are provided 25 seats in the planetarium show following their gathering. These individuals are seated first as a result of this agreement. The Scobee Education Center does not sell advance tickets or take reservations separate from these birthday party agreements for Friday night shows. Birthday reservations are subject to availability of the Briefing Room, Mays North Lobby and programming.
See show schedule for age restrictions. Age restrictions will not be waived for the 7:30pm and 9:00pm programs.
Tickets for Each Presentation:
$2/Alamo Colleges Student or Employee w/ID
$4/ Child 4-17, Senior 65+ & Military w/ID
The Scobee Education Center at San Antonio College is located at 1819 N. Main Ave (78212).
As a result of the SAC Campus Revitalization Project starting in 2019, parking is available in unreserved spaces in Lots 16, 23 and the five-level parking garage off of N. Main Ave. Guests will need to walk through campus to the west, past the Moody Learning Center and Chance Academic Centers. Our center is nestled in the center of campus across from the Candler Gyms and Kinesthetic Center and between the Nail Technical and Chemistry & Geology Buildings. Look for the distinctive blue Cheever Star Tower at the corner of our building and the terrace where our front doors are located.
Google Map Location: https://tinyurl.com/scobeeeducationcenter
- Public programming is available on Friday Evenings only. School, camp and community group programs are available by reservation only during other times and dates. It is recommended that large scout and community groups prearrange their own programs instead of meeting at the public presentations in order to have everyone in their group seated. If you are coordinating a large group, please, contact our center to make special group arrangements during weekdays prior to the Friday evening public performances. Call 210-486-0100 or email sac-ScobeeCtr@alamo.edu
- Educators may download a summary of the planetarium presentations through the Scobee Educator web site at: https://challengerscobee.org/educators/
- The entire Scobee Education Center and planetarium are closed on the following dates for college vacations, holidays and private events: Jan. 21, 2019, March 4, March 11 - 15, April 19, April 27, June 20, July 4 -5,
For more information or to make a field trip reservation, contact:
Monica Gutierrez, Administrative Services Specialist
Reservations Email: sac-ScobeeCtr@alamo.edu
Rick Varner, Center Director
For information regarding sponsorship of events, programs, or exhibits, contact:
Natasha Sobers, Coordinator of Program Development
For more information about the Scobee Planetarium, contact:
Michelle Risse, Planétarium Coordinator
For more information about Challenger Learning Center missions and education programs, contact:
Jennifer Becerra, Lead Flight Director/Academic Program Coordinator
Celina Terrones, Academic Program Specialist
Campus mailing address (not physical location)
San Antonio College campus
1819 N. Main Ave
San Antonio, TX 78212
Physically located approximately 1 block east of the intersection of San Pedro Ave. and West Park Street. Enter campus east on W. Park Ave. Free parking in non-reserved spaces is available in Lot 21 and Lot 29. Look for the large blue Charlie Cheever Jr Star Tower across Lot 21 to your left.