Legacy Day

August 18, 2022

In August of 2015, the Episcopal Church named our founding president, Artemisia Bowden, a Saint, a Holy Woman to be celebrated on the liturgical calendar. Her Feast Day is August 18 and we at St. Philip’s College honor her 52-year leadership and her lifelong service to San Antonio. 

This year, we have planned a full day of events, including the grand opening of the Saint Artemisia Bowden Building. We are calling this Legacy Day and invite you to join us in celebrating our past, present and future.

Sincerely,

Adena Williams Loston, Ph.D.
President


Download the Legacy Day Directional Map

Oak Tree Dedication in honor of Col. Roy W. Burley, Sr.

OakTree-617x347.jpg

7:30 a.m.

  • Oak Tree Dedication
    (Located near the Applied Science Building (ASB))

Col. Roy W. Burley, Sr., a graduate of Phyllis Wheatley High School and Prairie View A&M College (now Prairie View A&M University) was a veteran of WWII, the Korean War and Vietnam War. He retired from military service in 1973 and joined the University Health System Board of Managers. He was also instrumental in the creation of Texas Diabetes Institute. He lent his expertise in finance and human resources to causes impacting the lives of underserved and minoritized populations and was active in his service to San Antonio’s Eastside. Today, the tree that stood in his own backyard for decades grows on St. Philip’s College land and will be dedicated in memory of “The Colonel.”

Saint Artemisia Bowden (SAB) Building

Grand Opening

SAB-617x347.jpg

8:00 a.m.

  • Ribbon cutting 
  • Welcome
  • Building Blessing & Dedication 
  • Tribute to Artemisia Bowden 
  • Closing remarks 
  • Building Tours
The Saint Artemisia Bowden Building is a 25,000-square-foot, two-story replacement building for the existing facility that accommodates the Business Information Solutions Department, Corporate and Entrepreneurial Training Center, the Microsoft Testing Center for Microsoft Office Specialists and a cyber range. The building includes classrooms, computer labs, the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance [VITA] Center and staff offices. Artemisia Bowden, the daughter of emancipated slaves led the institution from 1902 to 1954 and, in 2015, was named a Holy Woman by the Episcopal Church.

Clarence W. Norris (CWN) Building

Grand Opening

CWN-617x347.jpg

9:00 a.m.

  • Ribbon cutting
  • Welcome
  • Tribute to Dr. Norris
  • Family Acknowledgement/Office Replica Reveal
  • Closing
  • Building Tours

The extensive renovation of the Clarence Windzell Norris Building began in 2019. The facility was built in 1970 and originally completed with three floors. A fourth floor was added in 1972. The building was named in 1975 in honor of Dr. Clarence W. Norris Sr., then Dean Emeritus. In March 2020, the Alamo Colleges District Board voted to grant President Emeritus status posthumously to Dr. Norris for his 30 years of dedicated service to the college. In addition, the Board voted to rename the Norris Technical Building to the Clarence W. Norris Building, to reflect its current use. It houses the Reading and English departments, Instructional Technology and the Information and Communication Technology department. It is also host the Learning Lab, Reading Lab, Tutoring and Technology Center (TNT) and the Rose R. Thomas Writing Center. SMART® Classrooms and training labs are located throughout the building.

William Allen Hudgins (WAH) Health and Wellness Building

Grand Opening

WAH-617x347.jpg

10:00 a.m.

  • Ribbon cutting
  • Welcome
  • Tribute to Coach Hudgins
  • Family Acknowledgement
  • Mason’s Cornerstone Laying Ceremony
  • Building Tours
  • Scholarship Presentation

The 57,000-square-foot facility will replace the existing college fitness center built in 1949. The two-story gymnasium and natatorium will include an elevated track, short course swimming pool, therapy pool, weight and cardio training spaces, aerobic studio, a cardio studio, teaching labs for kinesiology, first aid/ CPR, massage therapy, gathering spaces and staff offices.

Mason’s Cornerstone Ceremony

Cornerstone-617x347.jpg Since 2009, 14 local Masonic lodges have donated over $107,000 for scholarships. Members of Alamo Masonic Lodge N. 44 A.F. & A.M., Army Lodge No 1105 A.F.& A.M., Blue Bonnet Lodge No 1219 A.F.& A.M., Charles W. Anderson Lodge 1413 A.F. & A.M., Granville C. Coggs Masonic Lodge, Highland Hills Lodge No. 1373 A.F.&A.M., Kelly Lodge No. 1131 A.F. & A.M., Lonnie Irvin Daylight Lodge No 1309 A.F.&A.M., Patterson Lodge No 1177 A.F. & A.M., Perfect Union Masonic Lodge No. 10 A.F. & A.M., Prince Hall Affiliated, San Antonio Masonic Lodge No. 1079 A.F. & A.M., Texas Masonic Lodge No. 8 A.F. & A.M., Triune Lodge No. 15 A.F. & A.M., Victory Masonic Lodge No. 1160 A.F. & A.M., and Nat M. Washer Lodge No 1270 A.F. & A.M. have taken part in the grand openings at the College with cornerstone ceremonies at Good Samaritan Outreach and Transition Center (GSVOTC), E.L. Turbon Student Center, and the Tourism, Hospitality and Culinary Arts (THCA) building.

Unveiling of Saint Philips Way

StreetSign-617x347.jpg The unveiling of the Saint Philips Way Street Sign will take place at the intersection of Wyoming and Saint Philips Way.

Tourism, Hospitality and Culinary Arts (THCA) Building

Open House

THCA-617x347.jpg

11:30 a.m.

  • Ribbon Cutting
  • Welcome
  • THCA Building Overview
  • Lunch
  • Building Tours
  • Scholarship Presentation

The Tourism, Hospitality and Culinary Arts Center of Excellence is a four-story, state-of-the-art facility that is vital in supporting San Antonio’s $15.2 billion tourism, hospitality and culinary industry. “Artemisia’s,” on the fourth floor, is designed to give guests a fine dining experience and a gorgeous view of downtown. 1898, on the first floor, is a working kitchen and lab for culinary, pastry and hospitality management students.