Dr. Frank Bryant, Jr. Patient Simulation Center & Nursing Laboratories
The Dr. Frank Bryant, Jr. Patient Simulation Center is a state-of-the-art medical training facility, providing hands-on preparation for patient care in a controlled learning environment. Utilizing a range of learning methodologies, instructional supplies, and medical equipment, this multidisciplinary learning space provides Health Science programs with performance-enhancing clinical training.
Medical simulation training is an experiential training modality that allows learners to acquire and perfect clinical skills without putting patients at risk. Hands-on in its approach, simulation utilizes a combination of technologies to promote skills acquisition, decision-making, and communication in the healthcare environment. Our staff work with the Institute of Health and Bioscience programs to identify learning opportunities and design immersive training exercises that promote deep learning.
Intensive Care Units/Simulation Training Rooms
Simulated Clinical Training
- All meetings, sessions, classes, training, or any use of space at the Dr. Frank Bryant, Jr. Patient Simulation Center and Nursing Laboratories should be initiated via the Lab Reservation Form (login required) at least one week in advance.
- Simulation Center Operations Staff will approve appointment requests based on the availability of rooms, equipment, and staff. If the exact accommodations requested are not available, Simulation Staff coordinates a suitable alternative with the requesting party.
- Any special room configurations, equipment, or instructions will need to be included in the description section of the reservation form
- Adjustments to existing requests must be submitted at least 2 business days prior to the event. Changes to a simulation event may be approved only based on the availability of rooms, equipment, and staff.
- Recurring appointments may be submitted through this form. Recurring appointments must be accompanied by a lab calendar that indicates lab activities for each appointment day
- Any appointment not accompanied by equipment/set-up descriptions or a lab calendar will require the requesting party to set up the rooms in presence of Simulation Center Operations Staff on the day of the event
*For internal customers only – Lab Reservation Form
The Simulation Center provides high-quality experiences for students, faculty, and the community-at-large. Please read our Policies and Procedures.
The Dr. Frank Bryant, Jr. Patient Simulation Center & Nursing Laboratories extends access to health science career training and develops caring and competent health science professionals through a comprehensive program of experiential simulation-based learning.
We are dedicated to the St. Philip's College Vision to be the best in the nation in Student Success and Performance Excellence related to training students for clinical success.
We accomplish our Mission and reach toward our Vision by adherence to our 3 Core Values:
- Student Engagement and Success via access to immersive, state-of-the-art health care education and training.
- Performance Excellence through innovative programming, training, and systems design.
- Community Advocacy and Outreach focusing on careers in healthcare and patient safety/education.
A native of San Antonio, Dr. Frank Bryant Jr. was a graduate of St. Philip’s College and later received his degree in medicine at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. He served his country in the Army Medical Corps before returning to San Antonio to serve his community.
In addition to being a respected physician, Dr. Bryant advocated for the medically underserved of San Antonio’s east side. He lent his time and efforts to a number of projects that significantly improved community access to quality health care. Among his accomplishments, Dr. Bryant was the co-developer of the East San Antonio Medical Center as well as co-founder and first medical director of the Ella Austin Health Clinic. He was the first African-American President of the Bexar County Medical Society and first President of the C.A. Whittier Medical Society.
Upon Dr. Bryant’s passing in 1999, St. Philip’s College lost one of its strongest allies and most generous benefactors. It is in his memory that we have dedicated the Patient Simulation Center and Nursing Laboratories, in the hope that we educate the next generation of healthcare professionals to the same professional and ethical standards.
Visit the annual Frank Bryant Jr., M.D. Memorial Lecture in Medical Ethics.