Licensed E-books for NLC students, faculty, and staff
- Many of these resources are purchased or licensed resources and will require NLC Library users to log in through the NLC Library Proxy when off-campus. To use databases and e-books from off-campus you will be prompted to log into ACES with your ACES ID and password. For students, you will need to be currently taking a class at NLC to access these resources.
- ABC-Clio Ebook Collection
- Reference and general publication titles on a broad range of topics.
- Britannica Academic
- This encyclopedia is considered to be one of the most scholarly and comprehensive encyclopedias in the world. Use this resource to get a background on topics of interest. Links to other content are included as is multimedia, charts, statistics, and more.
- CredoReference Online
- Explore the contents of nearly 500 reference encyclopedias, dictionaries, and other reference sources on topics that include fine and performing arts, languages, business, agriculture and sciences, health and medicine, philosophy, biography, social and behavioral sciences, religion, technology, and more.
- Ebook Central/e-Libro
- Ebook Central includes over 70,000 titles from more than 500 publishers, 95% from Latin America and Spain. This database also includes Open Access titles for seamless access to scholarly works. Ebook Central is designed with mobile in mind. Access the site from your tablet or phone, and download ebooks for off-line reading.
- EbscoHOST Ebooks
- Licensed database with over 40,000 full-text books published between 1913 to the present. Search by keyword, table of contents, or use the index of each book to identify a page number. You can also identify these titles in the NLC Discovery.
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online: Spanish Reference Center
- Este portal le ofrece recursos de referencia.
- ERIC - Education Resources Center
- ERIC, the Educational Resource Information Center, provides access to education literature and resources. The database provides access to information from journals included in the Current Index of Journals in Education and Resources in Education Index.
- Funk & Wagnall’s New World Encyclopedia
- Licensed on-line general encyclopedia.
- GALE eBooks
- Licensed database with several current subject encyclopedias and other reference sources. Search individual titles or in all titles by keyword. You can also identify these titles in the ALAMO Library Online Catalog.
- Getty Publications - Open Access
- Getty Publications has 18 publications on fine arts that are free to access and download.
- JSTOR offers a high-quality, interdisciplinary archive to support scholarship and teaching. The entire corpus is full-text searchable, offers search-term highlighting, includes high-quality images, and is interlinked by millions of citations and references.
- The University of California Press is changing how books are published by creating an open access publishing model. Here you will find books available for viewing on-line or for download. There is wide range of subjects for the 90 currently available ebooks.
- National Library of Medicine Digital Collections
- The National Library of Medicine's Digital Collections houses the bulk of digital materials for the library. The majority of this information was created for the website. Subjects include World War II, Homeopathy, and Pediatrics.
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context
- Licensed on-line database with pro and con information on current / controversial topics. To find chapters in books about your chosen topic, select viewpoints/reference.
- O'Reilly for Higher Education
- The O’Reilly for Higher Education digital platform includes more than 38,000 book titles and more than 30,000 hours of video. Topics range from programming to IT networking to project management to graphic design to business strategy.
- OverDrive eBooks/Audiobooks
- This service allows currently enrolled students, faculty, and staff to borrow digital content such as eBooks and Audiobooks. For assistance registering for an account, contact the Virtual Reference Desk.
- Rare Books at Stanford Library
- The Stanford Library has digitized over 100 of its rare book bibliographies, library catalogs and sales catalogs. You can view by subject collections or search by title. The website offers a glossary of library, book, and publishing terms. An indexed listing of websites on the History of Books can be found as well.
- Salem Press Ebooks
- Use these Salem Press reference titles for background information on literary, historical, careers, health, and science topics.
- Springer Nature
- NLC Library has access to the latest 3 years of materials with ebooks composing the majority of the content.
- An easy-to-use on-line resource that provides multimedia content to complement children's and young adult books. Resources include audio book readings, book discussion guides, lesson plans, and more.
- World Folklore & FolkLife
- This database includes multimedia, audio files, reference works, images, and maps to tell the story of local folk history, the establishment of holidays and celebrations, regional development of music and dance, myths and legends, and the use of arts and crafts as they relate to folk customs and history.
E-books (publicly accessible)
- Digital Public Library of America
- The Digital Public Library of America is a clearinghouse of public domain and other materials from their partner libraries. They offer over 6,300 e-book links. You will need to follow the link to the original owner of the material.
- Directory of Open Access Books
- The DOAB has been created to increase the discoverability of open access books. The directory contains books that meet academic, peer-reviewed standards.
- Google Book Search (full-text of books in the public domain and brief excerpts of books still under copyright).
- Project Gutenberg
- Perseus Digital Library
- Classics @ MIT
- Digital Book Index
- Texas Digital Library Repositories
Circulation (210) 486-5387
Reference (210) 486-5388
|Chat with a Librarian|
NLC Library Catalog
Search for NLC Library resources or the holdings of all Alamo Colleges District Libraries
Digital articles and resources from periodicals and other sources
Ebooks in all subjects
Library instruction course pages
Library Citation Guide
Library Guide - Citing Source
Bibliography and Citation Tool