San Antonio College Technology Tips for Remote Readiness for Students
Adjusted Schedule for Spring Semesters
Classes at all of the Alamo Colleges will resume on March 23 for all students. Face-to-Face courses will resume through remote teaching and learning. End dates for the Spring Flex semesters have changed. Flex I will be extended by one week; ending March 28. Spring 2020 Flex II begins March 30 for a 7-week term ending May 16. The regular Spring 16-week semester will not be extended.
Face-to-Face Classes Meet Remotely
Face-to-Face classes will meet remotely as a class at the regularly scheduled day and time using a video conferencing tool called Zoom. Each Face-to-Face class will also have a Canvas course established to help facilitate remote learning.
To stay up to date on Alamo Colleges Operations > click here
Student Advocacy Center- HELPLINE: 210-486-1111
San Antonio College
Mon – Fri: 8am- 5pm
Mon – Fri: 8am – 12am
Sat: 9am – 9pm
Sun: 11am – 12am
Zoom Tech Support Remote Information Center
Monday - Thursday / 7am - 6pm
* Click on link to be directed to Zoom Meeting Room
Zoom Information Center Rooms
Link to Zoom Meeting Rooms
Service Center Remote Information Center
|Mega Lab Remote Information Center||https://alamo.zoom.us/j/893489318|
Mega Lab-Student Technology Zooom Training Calender: Calender
Student Resources: https://www.alamo.edu/coronavirus/student-resources
SAC Remote Tutoring Available
- Brainfuse Online Tutoring
- Geology and Earth Sciences
- Integrated Reading and Writing
- Writing Assistance
Due to the emergency closure of the college facilities, we must begin to teach and learn remotely. We will meet remotely as a class at the regularly scheduled time and day using a video conferencing tool called Zoom.
You will receive a Zoom calendar invitation through email or an interactive web link in your Canvas Inbox and/or in an announcement, or assignment pages.
You will join each meeting using the link provided with either a laptop, desktop PC, or mobile device with the downloaded app.
Canvas will be the primary means of communication until further notice. We will use the announcements and inbox features to share information about coursework.
Please watch for a message in Canvas regarding coursework in your class during the closure.
If you are new to remote learning or if you have questions about Zoom or Canvas, you are strongly encouraged to take the one-hour training called Remote Ready Boot Camp: Student.
- http://alamocolleges.screenstepslive.com/s/19065/m/73845/l/1065357-how-to-join-a-zoom-meeting-canvas-student (Links to an external site.)
Please complete the Zoom training prior to the start of classes on March 23, 2020/
Start Smart with Remote Ready Boot Camp
To prepare for remote learning, students are encouraged to take the one-hour Remote Ready Boot Camp (RRBC) training in Canvas. Click on Canvas in ACES, scroll down in your dashboard until you see your college’s name and Remote Ready Book Camp. It will help you to watch this video on RRBC at https://youtu.be/foDG6YMauHo. Check your ACES email and Canvas accounts on Monday, March 23 and on a regular basis.
Mega Lab Student Technology Training Workshops Calendar / Registration
select the following link: http://sacweb01.sac.alamo.edu/sac/ITIC/Default.aspx.
Once there, you will need to click on the drop down arrow beside “Choose a Training Sponsor” and select “Student Mega Lab” option.
On the displayed page, select a desired training workshop. Complete and submit the Class Registration Form.
Please make note of the date and time the training is offered. Also, scroll down to the Description area to retrieve the link for the Zoom Room.
Equipment Loaner Agreement:
|OTS - Service level Agreement.PDF|
Service Cost: $0
OTS requires two (2) forms of valid photo identification from students, one of which is required to be a current SAC Student ID. Other acceptable forms of identification include, but are not limited to, valid Driver’s License, State ID/Military ID, etc. Employees are required to provide their employee ID for identification.
All technology equipment loans are on a first-come, first-serve basis. If no equipment is available at the time of inquiry, students are able to sign a waiting list and will be notified when equipment has become available.
Technology equipment loan period till end of Spring 2020 semester
See available Equipment here: http://www.alamo.edu/sac/equipment/
NOTE: Borrower assumes full responsibility for all equipment (including software) in their possession. Equipment should not be left unattended. In the event of theft, loss or damage to Alamo Colleges property, the borrower is liable for all replacement costs. Any equipment outstanding 10 days past the due date will be considered stolen and the borrower will be held financially responsible. Equipment use is governed by Appropriate Use of Information Technology Resources (Policy).
Tips to Take Care of Your Laptop:
- Keep liquids away from your computer: Liquids can damage the laptop and corrupt data.
- Keep food away from your computer: Crumbs cause keys to malfunction, attract bugs and can damage circuitry.
- Have clean hands: Dirt and oils from fingers and wrists damage the protective finish on the laptop, keyboard and track pad.
- Use a clean toothbrush to clean parts of your computer: Clean around the keys on the keyboard, exhaust fans and around the bezel of the screen to help with airflow and reduce heat buildup.
- Prevent damage to the monitor: Remove obstructions (paper clips, pens, similar hard objects, etc.) on your keyboard before you close the lid.
- Close the lid properly: Close the lid gently and hold from the middle of the screen. This protects the hinges which can crack and break if strong pressure is frequently used.
- Hold the laptop by the base: Lifting the laptop by the display can deform or crack the screen.
- Do not put heavy items on top of the laptop: This can damage the screen and internal components.
- Do not expose the laptop to rapid temperature changes: Temperature fluctuations can cause internal damage to the laptop, including data loss.
- Do not leave the laptop in a vehicle: Avoid exposing the laptop to severe temperatures and possible theft.
- Use a laptop bag: Laptop bags act as a protective barrier to reduce damage and scratches.
- Use a laptop bag that fits: A properly fitted bag will help prevent damage to the laptop during transport.
- Do not pull on the power cord: Pulling the power cord can damage the cord, socket, and plug. Instead, grab the actual plug and disconnect it from the wall socket.
- Do not roll over the power cord with your chair: Rolling over the power cord can lead to a short and damage the power cord, power supply and laptop.
- Power Conservation: If not using the laptop for more than two hours, shut it down. The power consumption within those two hours is greater than that required to power on the laptop.
- Battery Maintenance: Do not leave a laptop plugged in after the battery is fully charged. Doing so will reduce the overall lifetime of the battery.
More Laptop care instructions >Please take care of this laptop.docx
Student: What is Respondus LockDown Browser?
LockDown Browser is a custom browser for taking quizzes in Canvas. It prevents you from printing, copying, going to another web site, or accessing other applications during a test. If a Canvas quiz requires that LockDown Browser be used, you will not be able to take the quiz with a standard web browser.
It is recommend that you install LockDown Browser before taking your first quiz or exam, in case there are any technical difficulties. Technical support please call 210-486-0777.
Download for Windows/Mac
Download Respondus for Alamo Colleges District from: http://www.respondus.com/lockdown/downloadc.php?id=582515657
NOTE: Respondus LockDown Browser is not available for use on personal Chromebooks. For additional information, please view Respondus Knowledge Base article on Chromebook usage.
Use Canvas for Face-to-Face Courses
Canvas in ACES will be the primary means of communication for the Face-to-Face courses while in remote learning. Faculty will use Canvas announcements and inbox features to share information about coursework. Students should review their course syllabus, consistently watch for messages in Canvas about coursework and join Zoom sessions during the remote instruction period.
Canvas Quick Guide > click here
How do I get help with using Canvas?
Students can click on the orange Help button at the top right corner of the screen while logged into Canvas to request help. Students can also call the Alamo Colleges District Helpdesk at 210-485-0555 and select option 2 or San Antonio College Helpdesk at 210-486-0777 during the normal business hours, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m..
Moody Learning Center
MLC is a designated parking lot hotspot available for students to access campus Wi-Fi.
Students are encouraged to stay in vehicles and practice social distancing. Directional signage will guide students to the locations.
Help For Students Without a Personal Computer or Digital Device
If access to a laptop, desktop or other personal digital device is unavailable, students are encouraged to use their phone and email to communicate with instructors. Also, programs are available to provide low-cost internet service, including free internet for 60 days. Find out more at https://www.alamo.edu/covid-19/. Each of our five colleges have designated areas in their parking lots with free WI-FI. Follow on-campus directional signs to the location.
- Be cognizant of FERPA guidelines
- Do NOT save student data on your home computer
- Keep your home computer updated with antivirus/security software
- Do not click on links or attachments from senders that you do not recognize.
- Do not provide sensitive personal information (like usernames and passwords) over email.
- Watch for email senders that use suspicious or misleading domain names.
- Inspect URLs carefully to make sure they’re legitimate and not imposter sites.
- Do not try to open any shared document that you’re not expecting to receive.
- Be especially cautious when opening attachments or clicking links if you receive an email containing the Alamo Colleges District warning banner indicating that it originated from an external source.
Be cautious of social engineering attacks (spam, spoofing, phishing, baiting, malware, scareware, adware, etc.). Alamo Colleges Information Technology employees will never ask for your password in an email
Stay Safe Online: Read more here
Free Antivirus Products:
March 17 was the last day the Alamo Colleges will have library building and computer labs open to assist students with preparing for online learning.
The Library is open online!
- Get live research help now.
- Chat and Online meetings at https://www.alamo.edu/sac/library
- M –TH 7:30 am – 7:00 pm
- F 7:30 am – 5:00 pm
The Alamo Colleges District has teamed up with a new vendor to offer you an official emergency notification system that’s improved and easy to use.
The Alamo Colleges Alamo Alert system will be used to communicate with students, employees and other members of the Alamo Colleges Family in the event of a college emergency or weather-related delay or closure.
Among its many features, the Alamo Alert system can send email and text notifications directly to your mobile phone.
How to Sign Up
Visit www.getrave.com/login/alamo and in the login fields, type your full Alamo student email address and the temporary password
Once logged in, add or confirm your name and mobile phone number. You can also add additional emails and mobile numbers.
Test the system by having a text message and email sent to the information you supplied.
Important: In order to receive messages sent to specific college and center locations, you must Opt-In.
Click on the Opt-In Lists tab.
On the next screen, on the right column, click on the name of the college(s) or center(s) you wish to join.
On the same screen, select Done on the left top corner of the page.
You’re all set to receive Alamo Colleges Alamo Alerts in the event of an emergency situation or weather-related delay or closure.
The SAC App has functions you may find useful.
Below are a list of Software and Products available to students at a discounted price or Free
Mircrosoft Office 365 Education:
Adobe Creative Cloud: (Root for password is the school you're associated with -SAC, NVC, PAC etc...)
Dell University Discount:
Alamo Colleges Offered Discounts: