San Antonio College Technology Tips for Students: Online Readiness
San Antonio College
Monday - Thursday: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. -5 p.m.
Mon – Fri: 8am – 12am
Sat: 8am – 9pm
Sun: 11am – 12am
Student Mega Lab
Fall & Spring Service Hours:
Student Resources: Learn more
Mega Lab Student Technology Training Workshops Calendar / Registration
Click on the Calendar Link. From the calendar page, you will need to click on the drop down arrow beside “Category” and select “Mega Lab Trainings” option. On the displayed page, select a desired training workshop and register.
San Antonio College students can borrow laptops per semester and must be enrolled during the term they request the computer. The equipment can be borrowed and returned between 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM at Moody Learning Center Room #207 during business hours. For more information please call 210-486-0030
|Equipment Request Form
|Equipment Return Form
Tips to Take Care of Your Laptop:
- Keep liquids away from your computer: Liquids can damage the laptop and corrupt data.
- Keep food away from your computer: Crumbs cause keys to malfunction, attract bugs and can damage circuitry.
- Have clean hands: Dirt and oils from fingers and wrists damage the protective finish on the laptop, keyboard and track pad.
- Use a clean toothbrush to clean parts of your computer: Clean around the keys on the keyboard, exhaust fans and around the bezel of the screen to help with airflow and reduce heat buildup.
- Prevent damage to the monitor: Remove obstructions (paper clips, pens, similar hard objects, etc.) on your keyboard before you close the lid.
- Close the lid properly: Close the lid gently and hold from the middle of the screen. This protects the hinges which can crack and break if strong pressure is frequently used.
- Hold the laptop by the base: Lifting the laptop by the display can deform or crack the screen.
- Do not put heavy items on top of the laptop: This can damage the screen and internal components.
- Do not expose the laptop to rapid temperature changes: Temperature fluctuations can cause internal damage to the laptop, including data loss.
- Do not leave the laptop in a vehicle: Avoid exposing the laptop to severe temperatures and possible theft.
- Use a laptop bag: Laptop bags act as a protective barrier to reduce damage and scratches.
- Use a laptop bag that fits: A properly fitted bag will help prevent damage to the laptop during transport.
- Do not pull on the power cord: Pulling the power cord can damage the cord, socket, and plug. Instead, grab the actual plug and disconnect it from the wall socket.
- Do not roll over the power cord with your chair: Rolling over the power cord can lead to a short and damage the power cord, power supply and laptop.
- Power Conservation: If not using the laptop for more than two hours, shut it down. The power consumption within those two hours is greater than that required to power on the laptop.
- Battery Maintenance: Do not leave a laptop plugged in after the battery is fully charged. Doing so will reduce the overall lifetime of the battery.
Programs are available to bridge the digital divide by providing Alamo Colleges students and employees with low-cost Internet Service. Visit the link below for additional information:
However, starting from the Spring Semester of 2022, Hot Spots are no longer provided to students, faculty, and staff. For more details, please visit the link below for low- cost internet service.
How do I get help with using Canvas?
Students can click on the orange Help button at the top right corner of the screen while logged into Canvas to request help. Students can also call the Alamo Colleges District Helpdesk at 210-485-0555 and select option 2 or San Antonio College Helpdesk at 210-486-0777 during the normal business hours, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Canvas Quick Guide > click here
Below are a list of Software and Products available to students at a discounted price or Free
Mircrosoft Office 365 Education:
Adobe Creative Cloud: (Only applies to classes that require the use of Adobe products.)
NOTE: Root for password is the school you're associated with -SAC, NVC, PAC etc...
Dell University Discount:
Alamo Colleges Offered Discounts:
- Be cognizant of FERPA guidelines
- Do NOT save student data on your home computer
- Keep your home computer updated with antivirus/security software
- Do not click on links or attachments from senders that you do not recognize.
- Do not provide sensitive personal information (like usernames and passwords) over email.
- Watch for email senders that use suspicious or misleading domain names.
- Inspect URLs carefully to make sure they’re legitimate and not imposter sites.
- Do not try to open any shared document that you’re not expecting to receive.
- Be especially cautious when opening attachments or clicking links if you receive an email containing the Alamo Colleges District warning banner indicating that it originated from an external source.
Be cautious of social engineering attacks (spam, spoofing, phishing, baiting, malware, scareware, adware, etc.). Alamo Colleges Information Technology Employees will never ask for your password in an email
Free Antivirus Products:
The Alamo Colleges District has teamed up with a vendor to offer you an official emergency notification system that’s improved and easy to use.
The Alamo Colleges Alamo Alert system will be used to communicate with students, employees and other members of the Alamo Colleges Family in the event of a college emergency or weather-related delay or closure.
Among its many features, the Alamo Alert system can send email and text notifications directly to your mobile phone.
How to Sign Up
Visit www.getrave.com/login/alamo and in the login fields, type your full Alamo student email address and the temporary password.
Once logged in, add or confirm your name and mobile phone number. You can also add additional emails and mobile numbers.
Test the system by having a text message and email sent to the information you supplied.
Important: In order to receive messages sent to specific college and center locations, you must Opt-In.
Click on the Opt-In Lists tab.
On the next screen, on the right column, click on the name of the college(s) or center(s) you wish to join.
On the same screen, select Done on the left top corner of the page.
You’re all set to receive Alamo Colleges Alamo Alerts in the event of an emergency situation or weather-related delay or closure.