What is the Political Science program?
The Political Science course of study is an ideal Liberal Arts major for students that want a broad based education in the social sciences. Earning an Associate of Arts with a pre-major in political science will prepare you to think critically and independently by developing your writing, communication, analytical, and data skills that are in demand in a changing work force by providing excellent preparation for flexibility in employment. Political science graduates acquire specialized understanding of governments systems and unique preparation to undertake a wide range of tasks related to government, law, and organizational management.
What will I learn?
Students study within the major fields of political science: American politics, international relations, comparative politics, and policy analysis. From course work in these fields students learn about the American political system, globalization, terrorism, environmental policy civil rights, U.S. foreign policy as well as the international system.
What can I do with this course of study?
An Associates of Arts with a pre-major in political science will prepare you for transfer to Texas public universities to pursue a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree. A major in political science can qualify you for many different careers in the private sector, the non-profit sector, and government. Graduates can pursue careers in
Click here for a listing of career categories and career choices for political science students.
Click here to go to the American Political Science Association's web page for more in-depth discussion about political science opportunities for students.
What's special about program?
Students are offered transferrable political science courses which include Introduction to Political Science, Mexican American Politics, Federal Government, Texas Politics, and an internship with a local governmental or non-profit entity.
How to begin
To begin your application for Associate of Arts with a pre-major in political science you must first fill out the Apply Texas application. You will need to select Public Service as your "First School Choice" then "Political Science pre-major" for the Major.
- Access the Apply Texas application click here
- You MUST be fully enrolled in San Antonio College. For information on enrolling for your specific student status go to http://www.alamo.edu/AlamoENROLL/
- Once you have completed both the Apply Texas application and San Antonio College's application and before the census date of your first semester at San Antonio College contact
|C. Woodward- Kaupert
Chance Academic Center # 217c
The study of political science prepares students for transferring to a public university to further their study in political science or one of the many disciplines within the social sciences.
- Oral & written communication
- Critical & analytical thinking skills
- Research design & statistical analysis skills
- Internships with judges, law firms, legislators, community organizations, government agencies, and business
- There are also study abroad programs at San Antonio College and local universities in Germany, Mexico, and Spain to name a few.
At San Antonio College there is Model Organization of American States that completes yearly against other college and university teams from across the country. At area universities there are Model UN Society teams that students can join and participate in yearly competitions. At San Antonio College and other area universities there is a Student Government Association that helps students develop their leadership skill.
- At San Antonio College the political science program offers
- Federal Government
- Texas Politics
- Introduction to Political Science
- Mexican American Politics
- At area universities students can choose form an extensive menu of courses such as
- International Relations
- Asian Politics
- Middle eastern Politics
- Constitutional Law
- National Security
- Campaigns and elections
- State and Local government