About the DGs
The Distinguished Graduates (DGs) initiative spotlights one outstanding graduate in each academic area. In addition to a special ceremony, DGs receive special recognition at the Commencement Ceremony and their diplomas are designated with this honor.
|2019 Distinguished Grads||2018 Distinguished Grads||2017 Distinguished Grads|
|2016 Distinguished Grads||2015 Distinguished Grads||2014 Distinguished Grads|
Application and Selection Information
To become a DG, students must meet the following criteria:
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.2.
- Attend the Commencement Ceremony in May.
- Be prepared to participate in events to promote graduation.
- Be in good standing (must not be on disciplinary probation or involved in a current investigation).
- Meet the department-specific meeting criteria.
- Graduating in Fall 2018, Spring 2019, or Summer 2019
Students who meet the eligbility criteria must submit the official application which includes:
- A 1,000- to 1,500-word essay describing his/her experience at SAC.
- A signed statement indicating that he/she is willing to participate in service projects to promote graduation.
- A 150- to 200-word biography. (Please keep in mind when writing the biography that the biographies of the selected Distinguished Graduates will be published online.)
- An inspirational quote including the name of the original author.
The DGs are selected by their academic area. Students will be notified of their selection or denial to the DG program by email if their application was submitted by the deadline to the department.
The below timeline outlines the typical DG process.
Applications Open November 1, 2018 Application Deadline for Students to Departments February 4, 2019 Department Selection February 15, 2019 DG Orientation February 28, 2019 DG Reception and Honors Ceremony May 7, 2019 Commencement Ceremony May 10, 2019
As a Distinguished Graduate, students will receive the following benefits:
- Receive a special honors cord to wear during the Commencement Ceremony;
- Have their names added to the Distinguished Graduate department plaque;
- Receive a formal certificate;
- Receive a free DG t-shirt;
- Have their picture, biography, and inspirational quote featured on the SAC website;
- Attend a special DG ceremony in May.