Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP)
Learn about the Course
What is a Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP)?
The Quality Enhancement Plan or QEP is a multi-year project to improve an important aspect of student learning through broad-based involvement and is a requirement of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
What is Northeast Lakeview College's QEP?
Soar Towards Success is a three-credit-hour, semester-long course for first-time-in-college students designed to help students develop the readiness skills to navigate curricular experiences and to complete their first college-level math course successfully. The course focuses on three core academic skills and three core academic behaviors to help students identify their own strengths and weaknesses as strategic learners and to develop strategies to help them be successful. Core academic skills include (1) communication, (2) problem-solving, and (3) reading comprehension. Core academic behaviors include (1) motivation, (2) self-efficacy, and (3) time management. Students are ultimately expected to integrate and apply the learning strategies practiced in their first college-level math class.
What aspects of learning do we want to emphasize?
QEP FOCUS STATEMENT: Soar Towards Success is a first-year student success course designed to enhance college readiness skills. The course allows first-time in college students to become more successful in college and in their first college-level math course.
QEP STUDENT SUCCESS OUTCOMES:
- The percentage of Soar Towards Success students who receive a C or higher as measured by PGR in the initial attempt of their corequisite Math 1314 - College Algebra will surpass that of their FTIC cohort peers who do not participate in Soar Towards Success.
- The GPA of Soar Towards Success students in the semester subsequent to completion of Soar Towards Success will be higher than that same-semester GPA of FTIC cohort peers who do not participate in Soar Towards Success.
- The Fall-to-Fall persistence of Soar Towards Success students will be greater than the overall FTIC Fall-to-Fall persistence.
QEP STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES:
- Students will identify the three core Soar Towards Success academic skills and the three core Soar Towards Success academic behaviors necessary for college success.
- Students will evaluate individual challenges within the core academic success skills and core academic behaviors.
- Students will demonstrate the application of appropriate learning and behavior strategies to address individual challenges.
- Students will demonstrate the application of appropriate learning and behavior strategies in a math context.