Frequently Asked Questions – FAQ

What Are Dual Credit Courses?

Dual Credit courses are offered in a variety of subject areas including math, science, English, economics, history, government and a wide variety of technical courses.

Dual Credit courses are taught either at the college or at the high school. Courses are taught by college faculty or by qualified high school instructors who meet the same criteria as college faculty.

What Are the Benefits?

Dual Credit offers motivated high school students the opportunity to earn college and high school credit simultaneously.

As a Dual Credit student, you can: Save money on college tuition. Finish college faster. Enjoy an easier transition to college-level coursework and college life.

How many courses can I take?

A dual credit student can take a maximum of 14 dual credit courses throughout high school. This differs for Early College High School (ECHS) students, who can complete up to 60 hours for an Associate degree. However, Northeast Lakeview College recommends that students not take more than 4 courses (12-13 hours) per semester. This can vary by high school and program type.


How will I know if my dual credit courses transfer?

Students may verify the transferability of credit by asking the target university if they will accept Northeast Lakeview College college-level courses in transfer. While many private and out-of-state institutions accept our college-level courses in transfer, students are advised to confirm transferability with the private or out-of-state institution. Students can also discuss transferability with their assigned High School Programs Certified Advisor.

Can dual credit students obtain financial aid?

Dual credit students cannot receive financial aid. Students must earn a high school diploma or GED to be eligible for financial aid.

What is FERPA and who is an eligible student?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that affords parents or designees the right to have access to a student’s education records, the right to seek to have the records amended, and the right to have some control over the disclosure of personally identifiable information from the education records. When a student turns 18 years old or enters a postsecondary institution at any age, the rights under FERPA transfer from the parents to the student (“eligible student”). An “eligible student” means a student who has reached the age of 18 or who is attending a postsecondary institution at any age. Once a student becomes an “eligible student,” the rights afforded to his or her parents under FERPA transfer to that student. For more information, please visit NLC FERPA page.

How can I enroll in Dual Credit Courses?

Public/Private/Charter: If you are interested in a Dual Credit course, check with your high school counselor for enrollment steps and courses available

Homeschool: If you are interested in a Dual Credit course, you can reference the Dual Credit Home School Checklist

Who Can Enroll?

To participate in the Dual Credit program, you must:

  • Be enrolled at a participating high school, private, charter or home school (9th-12th grade). Entry year varies by high school.
  • Express interest to your high school counselor or designee
  • Complete all necessary enrollment steps with both the high school and Northeast Lakeview College
How can I register for my dual credit classes?

Public/Private/Charter A High School Programs Coordinator and Certified Advisor will work closely with your high school Dual Credit Coordinator, counselors, or high school designee to register you for your dual credit courses. Dual Credit students do not self-register.

Homeschool: Continuing Dual Credit Homeschool students will complete the Online Course selection form provided by your assigned Certified Advisor. New Dual Credit Homeschool students will select their courses upon completion of New Student Onboarding. Dual Credit Homeschool students do not self-register. 

Where are Dual Credit classes taught?

Dual Credit classes are conveniently held on the high school campus of our partner high school or at our Northeast Lakeview College campus. Instructional methods can be face-to-face or fully distance (online) and can vary by partner high schools.

Who pays for the costs of dual credit classes?

Tuition and fees for dual credit students are waived. Many times, the school district is billed for dual credit students’ tuition. Homeschool dual credit students pay a reduced cost per course.

Who is responsible for purchasing the textbooks and other instructional material?

Textbooks and/or instructional materials are billed to the school district. Homeschool dual credit students are included in the AlamoBOOKS+ program.

Where do I send my final high school transcript?

Please visit NLC Records and Transcripts page for submission options

NOTE: Homeschool transcripts must include graduation date and notary to be considered official

How can I request my dual credit transcript?

Both current and former students can request transcripts online via ACES. However, NLC must first receive the dual credit student's final high school transcript before releasing the dual credit transcript

  • Current students can access web services at the top left corner of their ‘Student’ page.
    Web Services > Student tab > Student Records > Request Official Transcript
  • Former students can access web services at the bottom left side of their ‘Home’ page.
    Web Services > Student tab > Student Records > Request Official Transcript

Transcripts are NOT printed on campus. All transcripts are printed and mailed from an off-site location after a request is made. For this reason, it is not possible to pick up a transcript in person.


I am a high school senior who took dual credit while in high school. How can I transition to a First Time in College student?

Dual credit seniors interested in continuing with the Alamo Colleges District do not need to complete a new admissions application via ApplyTexas. You may update your admissions status from dual credit to First Time in College by logging in to ACES and following these steps:

  • Click on “Student” then click on “Web Services”
  • Click on “Student” then “Student Records”
  • Click and complete the “High School Programs Change of Entry Form"
Who is my assigned High School Programs Certified Advisor?

To find your Certified Advisor please visit NLC Academic Advising page.