Documentation to Support Establishing and Maintaining Domicile in Texas
The following documentation may be requested by the institution regarding a person’s responses to the Core Residency Questions. Documents that may be used as proof that:
(1) The person or the dependent’s parent established domicile in Texas, and
(2) The person or the dependent’s parent has maintained a domicile in Texas continuously for at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the census date of the term in which the person enrolls, include but are not limited to the following:
1. Significant Gainful Employment
a. An employer’s statement of dates of employment in Texas (beginning and current or ending dates) that encompass at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the census date of the term in which the person enrolls. However, employment conditioned on student status, such as work study, the receipt of stipends, fellowships, or research or teaching assistantships does not constitute gainful employment.
b. Other documents that show the person or the dependent’s parent, for at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the census date of the term in which the person enrolls:
1) has been engaged in employment intended to provide an income to the person or allow the person to avoid the expense of paying another to perform tasks (as in child care) that is sufficient to provide at least one-half of the individual’s tuition and living expenses or represents an average of at least 20 hours per week; or
2) is self-employed in Texas or is living off his/her earnings; or
3) is primarily supported by public assistance in Texas.
c. For a person living on public assistance, written statements from the office of one or more social service agencies located in Texas that attest to the provision of services to the person for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the census date of the term in which the person enrolls.
2. Sole or Joint Marital Ownership of Residential Real Property
Title to residential real property in Texas with documentation to verify 12 consecutive months of ownership immediately preceding the census date of the term in which the person enrolls, such as a Warranty Deed, with the person or the dependent’s parent having established and maintained domicile at that residence.
3. Marriage to a Person Who Has Established and Maintained Domicile in Texas
Marriage Certificate or Declaration of Registration of Informal Marriage with documentation to support that spouse has established and maintained domicile in Texas for the 12 consecutive months preceding the census date of the term in which the person enrolls.
4. Ownership of a Business entity
Documents that evidence the organization of the business in Texas that reflect the ownership interest of the person or dependent’s parent, and the customary management of the business by the person or dependent’s parent without the intention of liquidation for the foreseeable future.
NOTE: Additional documents may be requested to support your claim as a Texas Resident.
Documentation for In-District Classification
If a student claims In-District classification he/she must provide proof of physically residing in Bexar County. This is required before tuition status can be adjusted. Any tuition status revisions submitted after the official census date becomes effective in the following term.
- Texas ID or Driver’s License (with Bexar County address) or
- Current lease or proof of ownership of real property (in Bexar County)
NOTE: Additional documents may be requested to support your claim as a Bexar County Resident.
Location: Student Commons Bldg (STCM 101)
Phone: 210-212-5266 (21ALAMO)
Fax: 210-486-9178(Admissions Fax)
On-Campus Drop-In Hours
Friday – 8:00am-5:00pm
Friday – 8:00am-5:00pm
Saturday – 9:00am-1:00pm
Advising Virtual Drop-In Hours and Links
Monday: 2:00pm-6:00pmTuesday: 10:00 am - 2:00 pmWednesday 9:00am – 12:00pmThursday: 2: 00 am - 6:00 pmFriday: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm