Student Computer Training Workshops
The Student Mega Lab provides students with computer use and support at San Antonio College. In-person and online technology training workshops are available for currently enrolled Alamo College students on our monthly calendar. Workshops and training sessions range from basic to advanced technical skills.
Register for a free workshop by clicking on a "Gray" title on the calendar.
Student Computer Training Workshops Descriptions
This training workshop will introduce the student to the ACES portal. The student will familiarize themselves with the Navigation Menu and view the different pages so they will know how to locate and navigate the portal. The student will be led through the Canvas Navigation Menu and learn how to use some of the features of Canvas. They will also learn how to get help with Canvas.
- Familiarize and navigate the ACES format
- Go over the ACES Navigation Menu
- Open Alamo College email
- Familiarize and navigate the Canvas Navigation Menu
- Learn how to get help with Canvas
This workshop focuses on the Microsoft Windows 10 operating system, introduction to computer terminology, network security, web browser settings and more.
- Learn basic principles of using Windows 10 operation system.
- Identify the components and function of the hardware used in a computer system.
- Learn basic computer and keyboarding related vocabulary.
- Demonstrate proficiency in electronic communications technology.
- Explain basic computer networking concepts and architecture.
- Discuss computer security and its importance for business and personal use of computers.
This is an introduction workshop on the Windows laptop computer. You will learn how to maintain your laptop systems, the basic names for the laptop components, software and hardware components and networking/security and how to communicate with the SAC Help Desk.
- Components of the laptop
- Web Browsers
- Computer Settings
- Contact Information
The iPad Basics course covers the fundamentals of an Apple iPad. It is intended for the beginner user who has little experience using their iPad.
- Learn about the home screen, status bar icons, using gestures, searching on your device
- Use multitasking features and accessing the control center
- Explores settings and preferences
- Work with apps and learn how to organize apps
Microsoft 365 is a suite of cloud-based applications that integrates all Microsoft's online applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher, Sway, and Access) into a cloud service, adding Skype for Business and Microsoft Teams as the main communication components. The Microsoft 365 Workshop teaches the student to navigate and understand these applications.
- Learn how to access Microsoft 365
- Describe and discuss Microsoft 365
- Provide an overview of the apps (computer applications) available in Microsoft 365
- Store, share, and retrieve documents using One Drive
Microsoft Word is a widely used commercial word processor designed by Microsoft. Microsoft Word allows you to create professional-quality documents, reports, letters, and résumés.
- Create, edit and print professional looking documents
- Navigate around Microsoft Word
- Teach the student how to use the basic features of Word such as working with a document, selecting and work with text in a document, text manipulation and enhancement, formatting paragraphs, creating and inserting clip art, pictures and tables
- Finding information in Help
Excel is a spreadsheet program from Microsoft. The Microsoft Excel workshop teaches the student to format, organize and calculate data in a spreadsheet.
- Identify the different components of the Excel worksheet
- Differentiate between an Excel workbook and worksheet
- Enter text and formulas in to an Excel spreadsheet
- Enhance alpha and numeric date in an Excel Worksheet
- Move and copy alpha and numeric data
- Construct formulas to manipulate numeric data in an Excel Worksheet
Microsoft PowerPoint is a slide show presentation program. The program uses slides to convey information rich in multimedia.
- Create presentations from scratch or a template
- Add text, images, art, and videos
- Select a professional design with PowerPoint Designer
- Add transitions, animations, and cinematic motion
The e-Portfolio/e-Lumen Training is designed to demonstrate how to make an e-Portfolio using the software e-Lumen. The workshop explains what an e-Portfolio is, demonstrates how to use the software e-Lumen to build e-Portfolios, and helps the student set up an account in e-Lumen.
- Explain and show examples of an e-Portfolio
- Show how to use the software e-Lumen to create an e-Portfolio
- Create an account in e-Lumen