What is the Social Work program?
San Antonio College's 2 year Associate of Art following the Social Work pathway ensures a student completes the core requirements with a concentration on social work. We have designed our program to meet the accreditation standards of our four year partners. We maintain close partnerships with both Our Lady of the Lake and Texas State University who are the two closest universities for students to transfer and continue toward their baccalaureate degree in social work.
We have students who have transferred to schools all over Texas.
What will I learn?
- Problem solving process used when working with individuals, families and groups
- Communication skills necessary for any helping professional
- Our program is writing intensive and students are mentored toward high quality college level writing
- Create an original case study and provide an assessment and case management plan
- Learn how to conduct focus groups, collect and analyze qualitative data
- You will apply what you have learned in a work setting by completing a minimum of 50 service learning hours
- Complete a graduation portfolio which compiles all artifacts of student work
What can I do with this course of study?
AA - Social Work Pathway
- You can take your degree and leverage your opportunities in a local non-profit, governmental organization or other entry level position.
- Students complete 50 hours of service learning in their final semester. You will gain professional experiences and references.
BSW - Bachelor Degree in Social Work
Students completing their 4 year degree in social work are eligible to
MSW - Masters Degree in Social Work
PROFESSIONS WITH A BACHELORS OR MASTERS DEGREE
Social Workers in Private Practice Solo and Group
Social Workers in Hospitals
Social Workers in Government Agencies
Social Workers in Psychiatric Hospitals
Social Workers in Hospice and Palliative Care
Social Workers in Health Clinics & Outpatient Health Care Settings
Social Workers in Social Services Agencies
Social Workers in Colleges & Universities
Social Workers in Schools (Kindergarten through 12th Grade)
What's special about program?
- Our faculty are passionate and committed to your growth in the field of social work. We will teach you, advise you and support you toward your academic and personal goals.
- Our instructors include licensed social works with more than 20 years of hands-on social work practice experience.
- Students are supported through intensive faculty mentoring
- Social Work majors are treated like family. We sill connect you with our extended family of former students who have transferred to Texas State, UT Arlington, University of North Texas, Our Lady of the Lake University, University of New Mexico and more. You can ask questions and gain insight into the 4-year school experience from students who are already there.
- While the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) does not currently accredit 2 year programs, we strive to met accreditation standards by aligning our program with CSWE standards.
- Learning community experiences designed to support students through the college math requirement (MATH1332).
|Our faculty are passionate and committed to your growth in the field