The SAC Empowerment Center offers comprehensive educational supportive and retention services in a one-stop environment for both students and the community.
Services are provided for women and non-traditional students including single parents, displaced homemakers, first-generation college students, residents of public housing, dislocated workers, and other individuals needing support to succeed in a college environment.
A wide range of services are offered to students on the departments caseload including academic advisement, childcare referrals, parenting support programs, workshops, educational re-entry services, community resource referrals, leadership development programs for women, scholarship resources, GED services, outreach conferences and other special programming.
Empowerment Center Services are available:
Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Empowerment Center Advisors Office Hours:
Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. at the Empowerment Center
Monday - Thursday 5 p.m. - 7 p.m. at MLC 1st floor
Saturday 9 a.m. -1 p.m. at MLC 1st floor
*Limited advising on Wednesday from 1 - 5 p.m. due to Group Advising
Our department is the recipient of the following local, state, and national awards:
- 2015 NACADA Outstanding Institutional Advising Program Award
- 2015 Finalist, Excelencia in Education Award
- 2014 STAR Award, Texas Coordinating Board – GED to College Transition Program
- 2007 STAR Award - Texas Coordinating Board – Parent Child Program
- 2006 Model Program Award, American Association of Women In Higher Education
- 2003 Alamo Workforce Development Board Award for Excellence Through Innovation