Health Information Technology Program INFORMATION SESSION
OCTOBER 26, 2017
6:00 P.M. TO 7:00 P.M.
CENTER FOR HEALTH PROFESSIONS ATRIUM
The Health Information Technology Program Application submission deadline is August 1, 2018 for Fall 2018
In accordance with the mission of St. Philip's College, the mission of Health Information Technology (HIT) is to provide an environment fostering excellence in technical achievement while remaining responsive to the needs of the community. The mission is fulfilled by providing education and training that assures demonstration of health information entry level competencies by the graduates of the Health Information Technology program.
What is Health Information Technology? This link from the American Health Information Management Association will provide you with a wealth of information. You will find Career Maps which depict the variety of career options available. More on Health Information Technology
All program curricula have been developed in cooperation with an Advisory Committee comprised of health Information professionals from the local and surrounding community and in compliance with appropriate accrediting agency requirements.
Professional Organizations; Sites of Interest
The Health Information Technology (HIT) program maintains close ties with professional organizations representing healthcare documentation career fields.
Additional career and related information for Health Information Technology and Coding career fields may be obtained at the following sites.
Related state and local associations may be obtained at the following sites.
Penny Pfeil, BBA, RHIA
Heather McLachlan, MHA, RHIA
The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree, Health Information Technology Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
Additional information on professional credentialing is available from American Health Information Management Association.
RHIT Exam Pass Rate:
Class of 2017:
Valarie Poore, RHIT
Class of 2016:
Rosalinda Valdez, RHIT
Bobbi Hill, RHIT
Class of 2015:
Angelo Cruz, RHIT
- Students electing specialization in the Health Information Technology (HIT) program must meet all admission requirements for acceptance to St. Philip's College: to include completion of AlamoEnroll if new to the college and/or ApplyTexas; receipt of Banner ID.
- All students must also meet and/or complete the following HIT program requirements:
- at least 12th grade reading, writing, and math
- HITT 1305 Medical Terminology I (with grade of C or higher)
- BIOL 2404 Human Anatomy and Physiology (with grade of C or higher) (or BIOL 2401 and 2402)
- ITSC 1309 Integrated Software Applications (with a grade of C or higher)
- Overall GPA 2.5
- Application - A program application (separate from the admission application to the College) must be submitted no later than August 1st for Fall 2018 cohort admission. Cohorts begin in the fall semester. To request an application, students must:
- Ensure ALL college transcripts be on file in Records and Registration
- Students electing specialization
in the Health Information Technology (HIT) program must first meet previously noted St. Philip's College admission requirements
- Students must also meet the HIT Program admission requirements
- Submit an email to the Program Director upon completion of all admission requirements and request the HIT Program application.
Email must include student Banner ID which is obtained through
completion of AlamoEnroll or being currently active as an Alamo Colleges