Student Leadership Institute
he Alamo Colleges District Student Leadership Institute (SLI) develops and inspires students to become proactive, productive, and engaging leaders on campus, in the workplace, and in the community.
We provide principle-centered leadership education and training for the following programs/target audience:
Developing students into proactive, productive and engaging leaders through:
TIER I Program
During the fall and spring semesters, SLI scholars will enhance communication skills, presentation skills, and increase overall knowledge of wheat it takes to be a proactive leader. To develop these skills, SLI provides the Leadership Course.
The Leadership CourseScholars will identify that life is a product of their values, not their feelings.
- Fall: Speech 1321
- This is a Business and Professional Communications course (3 credit hours)
- SLI will confirm course section/ACES registration with scholar prior to first class day in August
- Enrollment will increase total number of credit hours in student schedule
- Spring semester: Proactive Leadership
- This is a non-credit course
- SLI will confirm course with scholar prior to first class day in January
SLI provides scholars the opportunity to learn from their peers and establish a professional network with business and community leaders. To enhance the productive leader skill set and too set, SLI provides the Leadership Labs.
The Leadership LabsScholars will identify that all things are created twice, first the mental image/picture, then the action.The Leadership Labs are one Saturday per month from 8:00 am - 2:00 pm. Each lab welcomes guest speakers that provide an overview of the scheduled leadership lab topics. Topics range from Employment Preparedness to Leadership's Role in landing your Dream Job to Workplace Leadership.SLI provides scholars the opportunity to serve the college campus and community and assume responsibility of leading others to achieve a common goal. To strengthen skill sets and gain experience in project management, effective communication, and collaboration, SLI offers scholars participation in Leadership Teams.
The Leadership TeamsScholars will discover that things that matter most, must never be at the mercy of the things which matter least.The Leadership Teams, led by TIER II scholars (2nd year of Leadership Program), will learn how to resolve conflicts, model the way, empower others, and achieve great results through building trust relationships.
- Annual project, the Young Leaders Conference
- Fall: Speech 1321
Over 1,200 students have accepted and successfully completed the Student Leadership Challenge.
Will you accept the Leadership Challenge?
- Meet new people and make new friends
- Enhance leadership skills
- Increase your "Circle of Influence"
- Gain college credit
- Receive a Certificate of Completion
- Obtain transcript recognition (Alamo Colleges Student Leadership Institute Graduate)
- Learn, study, develop, and engage in leadership, communication, and organizational skills.
Leadership program topics include:
- Critical Thinking
- Confidence & Risk-Taking
- Ethics & Values
- Social Justice
- Team Building
- Impression Management
- Leadership & Learning Styles
- Social Change
- Time Management
- Workplace Leadership
In oder to begin to your leadership journey with the Alamo Colleges District Student Leadership Institute, applicants must meet the following critieria:
- Be enrolled in one of the colleges of the Alamo Colleges District (min, 6 credit hours per semester)
- Have completed or received a high school diploma/GED and not have completed a Bachelor's Degree
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale
- Submit a completed application packet
Complete application packets will be reviewed by a Leadership Committee.
All applicants will be notified of their status and committee decision via ACES email.