Standards, Petitions, and Appeals

Academic probation and Academic Dismissal are part of a process that could have serious consequences.  Dismissal for scholastic reasons can severely restrict your choices of universities and programs in the future.  If you are on financial aid, veteran’s assistance, or a family health insurance policy, you run the risk of losing the assistance unless you take steps to improve your academic standing.  If you are unsure of your academic standing we recommend that you visit with an advisor as soon as possible. Please take advantage of the assistance and guidance that can be provided by your certified advisor so that you can avoid a more serious situation in the future. 

What is Academic Probation?

  • Students who begin any semester term in Good Academic Standing but fail to maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher are placed on Academic Probation.
  •  What happens if I am placed on Academic Probation?
    • Student status is evaluated after each semester. Students must earn a semester GPA of 2.0 or higher to remain enrolled while on Academic Probation.  
    • Students on Academic Probation may re-enroll for one semester after meeting with a Certified Advisor. 
    • Students may be limited to 12 maximum hours of enrollment and are required to submit a Progress Report to their certified advisor.
    • Students should be recommended to enroll in Strategies for Success, SDEV0171. Students must earn a C or higher to successfully complete the course.

What is Continued Academic Probation?

  • After the first (1) semester term of Academic Probation Status, students may re-enroll at the Alamo Colleges District on a Continued Academic Probation status after meeting with an Certified Advisor.
  • Students on Continued Academic Probation should be recommended to enroll in SDEV 0171. Student must receive a grade of C or better to successfully complete this course.
  • Student status is evaluated after each completed semester/session. Students must meet minimum academic (2.0 GPA) standards for each subsequent semester term until the student has a cumulative GPA of 2.0.
  • The Continued Academic Probation status is removed when students earn both a term and cumulative 2.0 GPA.

What happens if I am not academically successful while on Academic Probation/ Continued Academic Probation?

  • If at the end of the semester your semester GPA is not at least a 2.0, you will be placed on Academic Dismissal.
  • If placed on Academic Dismissal you will have the following options:  
    • Sit out for at least one semester.
    • If you do not wish to sit out, you may be considered for enrollment in the following semester by visiting with a Certified Advisor to submit an  Academic Dismissal Petition. These advising sessions begin on  the first day of registration and must be completed no later than 10 business days prior to the start of the semester you are submitting your appeal.
  • Students on 1st Academic Dismissal will be limited to 6-8 hours maximum enrollment.
  • If you plan on attending the college during a summer session while on academic dismissal, you will need to speak to a Certified Advisor prior to enrollment and you will be limited to a maximum of 4 hours.
  • Students on 1st Academic Dismissal are required to enroll in SDEV0171. Students must earn a C or higher to successfully complete this course.

What is Second Academic Dismissal?

  • Second Academic Dismissal occurs when students who were on academic dismissal are not successful in the petitioning semester and receive a Semester GPA below 2.0 or do not meet all of the petition requirements.
  • Students will receive notification via ACES email informing them of their status once final grades have posted. 
  • Students on Second Academic Dismissal are required to sit out a full 16-week semester prior to submitting a petition to re-enroll at San Antonio College.
    • Example: Last attended Spring, Summer or Fall 2014, eligible to petition for Spring 2016 semester.
  • Once eligible to petition, and your petition for re-enrollment is approved, you will be limited to no more than 6-8 hours and you will be required to take SDEV0171. 
  • Students who completed SDEV0171 with a C or better during their 1st academic dismissal will not be required to re-take the course.

What is Third/Permanent Dismissal?

  • Students with three or more academic dismissals are not eligible to petition or enroll for a minimum one full academic year ( Fall/Spring/Summer). 
  • After sitting out the required length of time, students must contact the Dean's office of their major/degree of choice for the petition process.

Is there anyone that can help me while I am on Academic Probation?

 It is our sincere desire to assist you in reaching your educational goal. Some areas of assistance we strongly recommend that you utilize are: 

  • Speak with your instructor(s) during their posted office hours or before/ after class. Make sure you understand the course expectations and requirements. 
  • Tutoring Labs located at each respective department(s).   
  • Academic Advising for assistance in developing a plan to improve your academic standing; Advising hours are listed on SAC’s website.    
  • Career Services for help with career exploration  
  • Disability Support Services for disability-related services. 
  • SLAC: Student Learning Assistance Center
  • Student Advocacy Center:students who are food insecure or who need help with other services are urged to visit the Student Advocacy Center at the Chance Academic Center (CAC) Room 323 or call (210)486-1003.