Phi Theta Kappa
About Phi Theta Kappa and NVC's chapter, Beta Lambda Upsilon:
The purpose of Phi Theta Kappa shall be to recognize academic achievement, leadership, service, and to encourage scholarships among our NVC Beta Lambda Upsilon members. Phi Theta Kappa provides these opportunities for its members in order to assist with gaining a competitive edge in both their academic and professional journeys!
Our Chapter Mission:
Beta Lambda Upsilon provides members with resources to pursue their ambitions while helping them with their path for success through scholarships and development opportunities.
- In 1910, PTK began as a society originally named Kappa Phi Omicron at Stephens College in Columbia, Missouri.
- In 1918 the name of the organization was changed to Phi Theta Kappa.
- In 1975 the first transfer scholarship was established. Currently, approximately 735 colleges and universities offer over $37 million in transfer scholarships for PTK members.
- In 1988 Phi Theta Kappa reaches all 50 states and in 1994 Phi Theta Kappa celebrated its 75th anniversary and inducted its 1 millionth member.
Today we have over 2.5 million members!
Eligibility for NVC's PTK Chapter, Beta Lambda Upsilon, Membership:
- Currently enrolled at NVC and pursuing an associate degree program through the institution;
- Completed at least 12 hours of college level coursework that may be applied to an associate degree (part-time students may be eligible);
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.00+ from college level credit courses (developmental course grades cannot be applied towards this GPA);
- Be in good standing with NVC and adhere to the moral standards of the society
- Complete the one time payment of $88 for life time membership
Fall 2021 Membership is now open! Deadline is November 19th, 5:00PM.
All requests after this date will not be considered and students must reapply in the Spring.
Phi Theta Kappa offers both transfer and non transfer scholarship opportunities to members each semester. Member are able to apply for over $87 million in scholarships opportunities from Phi Theta Kappa, partnering foundations. This includes yet is not limited to: GEICO Pathway for Completion, All-USA Community college Academic Team scholarship, Coca-Cola, and more. For more information please visit:
Transfer scholarships are available for qualified members to 4 year institutions such as yet not limited to: UTSA, Schreiner University, Trinity Christian College, St. Mary's University, University of Incarnate Word, and more
NVC's PTK Beta Lambda Upsilon offers several chapter scholarship each semester for members who are chosen by their peers. These opportunities are emailed to members on a frequent basis