Sidekick Peer Mentor Program
About the Program
The NVC Sidekicks program is a peers-supporting-peers model designed to support students during the first year of their educational journey. Sidekicks work hand-in-hand with NVC Certified Advisors to provide quality support to their mentees (Synergy). The program was created in an effort to promote and support the relationship between advising and the student body, as well as increase persistence and retention amongst our FTIC students.
MISSION: To enhance the Advising experience by providing a high level of service that will ensure students meet their desired goal.
VISION: To support students in their first year of their educational journey that will enable them to master the tools needed for success (Learning).
What can a Sidekick do for me?
Peer mentors are students just like you who want to help you learn how to successfully navigate your way through college and achieve your goals. They do this in ways such as:
- Help you transition from high school to college
- Provide you with information regarding college processes and/or policies that can affect you such as how to add or drop a class, scheduling advising appointments, how to utilize your GPS planner effectively, and how to obtain your registration PIN
- Connect you with the various resources available to you such as tutoring, utilizing library services, and the various writing centers
- Connect you with the various resources that are designed to support your academic progress such as emergency aid, the food pantry, etc.
- And much, much more!
What happens once I am assigned?
Once we receive your information, we will assign you to a Sidekick. Your Sidekick will introduce themselves to you through your ACES email and provide information on how to schedule remote meeting sessions (sessions will be held through Zoom). In addition, they will send you important updates periodically, such as when registration will begin for the upcoming semester, resource highlights and other fun stuff.
Who is eligible to be assigned a Sidekick?
- Students who are enrolled in their first semester in college
- Students who are in their second semester and are on Academic Probation and would like help improving their GPA
If you are interested in being assigned a Sidekick Peer mentor, it is as easy as clicking the following link and filling out the form! It takes less than 5 minutes.
How do I sign up?
Click here to sign up for a Sidekick Peer Mentor.
We are always on the lookout for students who enjoy helping others and want to become a part of the Peer Mentor Program. Not only will you helping your fellow students be as successful as you are, but you will learn important skills (transferrable skills) that will benefit you in your professional careers. If you are interested in joining the Sidekick Peer Mentor team, you need to meet the following criteria:
- You must have completed the FAFSA financial aid application for 20-21 and be eligible to be a work study student- if you are not sure if you are eligible, or would like more information about the work-study program, you may visit the College Work Study webpage here
- Must have completed the work study job application online at Jobs Across the Alamo Colleges and select "Work-Study"
- Must have completed at least one semester in college (at the Alamo Colleges or as a transfer student) with an overall institutional GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Must plan to be enrolled for a minimum of 2 future semesters
- Must be able to work at least 12 hours each week
If you meet all these requirements, click here to complete the interview questionnaire.