Welcome to Academic Advising
Beginning Monday, March 23rd until further notice- *The Colleges of the Alamo Colleges District including Northwest Vista College are closed (campus is not open) and ALL Advising Appointments/ Services will be conducted remotely via Video Conferencing (Zoom) or Phone at this time.*
The academic Advising, Career and Transfer Services (ACT) Team provides integrated academic and career services to students. NVC and the ACT team are committed to creating opportunities for student success.
Are you a new, returning or transfer student?
We are excited to help you get started on your educational journey! Before seeking advising services, please click here determine the admissions steps that apply to you.
First Time In College students:
If you have completed your enrollment checklist, please sign up for the required New Student Orientation/Advising session HERE
Summer Transient students:
If you are trying to register for summer classes recommended by your University advisor, and are receiving a registration error, you may receive assistance through our online chat service. Transcripts showing completion of prerequisite courses will be required to be provided at time of assistance.
What services can I obtain from the ACT Team?
Academic Advising Services - provided via phone, email, chat and zoom
- Need to know what classes to take? Are you being asked for an "alternate PIN" when trying to register? Contact your assigned certified academic advisor to schedule an advising session.
- Where is Enrollment Management held? Records Office
- Were you academically dismissed and seeking to enroll? Please go to Academic Dismissal Petition Information
- Are you transferring to Northwest Vista College? Transfer to NVC
- Need to request permission to take additional hours? Please view the Petition for Overload web page for information about how to complete the petition process. Forms may be accessed upon completion of an advising appointment with your assigned certified advisor. Overload Petitions forms submitted without prior advising may not be accepted. Petitions must be submitted a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the semester starting.
- Ready to Graduate? Graduation Advising
- International Student Advising
- Career Exploration
- Transfer Services
- Resume, Interview and Job Search assistance
Veterans Center - Cypress Campus Center (CCC-110)
How do I see an academic advisor?
All currently enrolled students have been assigned a Certified Academic Advisor. Please check your ACES email for information regarding who your assigned advisor is and how to schedule an appointment. All advising sessions are being conducted via Zoom until further notice. New students will be assigned to an advisor at the beginning of their first semester enrolled.
Online Quick Advising Sessions
Available (Spring 2021 Hours):
10-15 minutes in length
Meet with any available advisor
|Advising Appointment Sessions|
Scheduled a minimum of 24 hours in advance
30 minutes in length
Meet with your assigned academic advisor
Limited services are still available through our virtual chat service. We encourage you to plan ahead and schedule an advising session with your assigned Certified academic advisor prior to peak registration.
If there's no response to the chat window, it may be due to submitting a request outside of operating hours. The Advising office may be reached by phone at 210-486-4100 for general academic advising questions.
General Hours of Operation
Monday-Wednesday, Friday: 8:00 am- 5:00 pm
Thursday: 8:00 am- 7:00 pm
1st Saturday of the Month: 9:00 am-1:00 pm
Note: Appointments are not available the same day, they must be scheduled a minimum of 24 hours in advance.
The Advising Services office may be reached by phone at 210-486-4100 during general hours of operation. Please be able to provide your full name, and banner ID when requesting specific information.
Spring 2021 Chat Service Hours:
Mondays: 10:00 am-4:30 pm
Thursdays:10:00 am-6:30 pm
Friday: 1:00-4:30 pm
1st Saturday of the month: 9:00am-12:30pm
If you are unable to get a chat response, it may be due to a high volume or your request is outside of the chat service hours.
Quick virtual advising sessions will be offered through our chat service only until further notice.
The campus is closed and not accessible to the public at this time. All services are offered remotely.