Welcome to Academic Advising
The Advising, Career and Transfer Services (ACT) Team provides integrated academic and career services to students. NVC and the ACT team are committed to creating opportunities for student success.
Are you a new, returning or transfer student?
We are excited to help you get started on your educational journey! Before seeking advising services, please click here determine the admissions steps that apply to you.
First Time In College students:
If you have completed your enrollment checklist, please sign up for the required New Student Orientation/Advising session HERE
What services can I obtain from the ACT Team?
Academic Advising Services - Cypress Campus Center (CCC)
- Need to know what classes to take? Visit with an advisor to go over your degree plan
- Where is Enrollment Management held? Records Office
- Are you on Academic Dismissal? Academic Dismissal Petition Information
- Are you transferring to Northwest Vista College? Transfer to NVC
- Need to request permission to take additional hours? Please view the Petition for Overload web page for information and to obtain the form. Forms MUST be submitted with your assigned advisor during an advising appointment. Overload Petitions Online or emailed forms are not accepted.
- Ready to Graduate? Graduation Advising
- International Student Advising
Career and Transfer Services - Cypress Campus Center (CCC-108)
- Career Exploration
- Transfer Services
- Resume, Interview and Job Search assistance
Veterans Center - Cypress Campus Center (CCC-110)
How do I see an academic advisor?
All currently enrolled students have been assigned an Academic Advisor. Please check your ACES email for information regarding who your assigned advisor is and how to schedule an appointment.
Online Advising Sessions
Walk-in Quick Sessions
10-15 minutes in length
10-15 minutes in length
Meet with any available advisor
Meet with any available advisor
Scheduled a minimum of 24 hours in advance
30 minutes in length
Meet with your assigned academic advisor
Limited services are still available on a walk-in basis. We encourage you to plan ahead to visit with your assigned Certified advisor prior to peak registration for a shorter wait time. To sign-in for walk-in services, please visit the Advising Services Check-In window located on the first floor of the Cypress Campus Center (directly past the Student Financial Services office). To ensure we are able to visit with each student we sign in, we may discontinue our sign-in list for the day prior to our closing time. PLEASE NOTE: During registration periods, this may happen very early in the day.
Great tips to follow before an advising appointment to ensure you have a productive meeting with your advisor:
- Create a reminder on your phone or in your planner regarding your appointment date and time.
- Come prepared talk about: classes to take, transfer planning, graduation planning, goal setting, and any additional concerns you might have regarding your educational and career goals.
- Meet with your assigned academic advisor every semester to ensure you are staying on track- meet with them early to avoid any issues with being able to register for future classes once registration begins.
- Create your own advising folder to keep you organized with advising-related materials [Example: degree plan, schedule plans, notes from advising meetings] and keep it updated.
- Read your ACES student email regularly; this is how your assigned academic advisor will communicate with you. Keep in mind that any emails sent from your personal email may get caught in our SPAM folder and we will be unable to see them.
- Review your grades and GPS degree plan in ACES at the end of each term.
Your assigned academic advisor is available to answer questions that are submitted from your ACES student email. Your e-mails to advisors should always be professional communications, so please include: First name, last name, and student Banner ID number, as well as a detailed description of what you are needing. Advisor will return your message as soon as possible on a first-come, first-served basis. Please keep in mind that your advisor make take up to 48 business hours to respond, so please be patient. If a question is very important and requires an immediate response, it is recommended you visit with your assigned advisor in person. Some questions may require you to have an in person conversation with your advisor therefore they may contact you to schedule an appointment.
Please understand that your advisor will not make decisions for you during your advising sessions, however your advisor will provide you with the most accurate information available and will work with you to create a realistic plan that will aid you in accomplishing your educational and career goals. The education choices you make are yours and the responsibility for knowing and fulfilling degree requirements rest with you.
An advisor will be assigned to once you have enrolled for classes for the semester. The advisor assigned to you is dependent on your degree plan or program of study. If a student changes their major once assigned, they will be re-assigned to a new advisor at the end of that semester.
All currently assigned students will have a link sent via their ACES email to schedule an appointment with their academic advisor. Please check your ACES email for your appointment link. If you do not see your link in ACES, please visit the Advising Services office for more information on who your assigned advisor is and how to contact them for an appointment. The advising appointment schedule for the Fall semester is:
September 5th- December 8th
The appointment link you will be sent is active until you schedule an appointment. Once an appointment is scheduled, the link becomes invalid. Appointment times fill quickly so be sure to schedule your appointment right away.
Appointments are scheduled for 30-45 minute intervals and must be scheduled 24 hours in advance. Same day appointments are not available. If you are unable to keep your appointment, please contact your advisor via phone or email to reschedule as soon as possible. Arrive on time and check in at the Advising Services Window located on the first floor of the Cypress Campus Center directly past Student Financial Services. If you arrive 5 minutes or later for an appointment, you will be asked to reschedule. Bring all necessary documents (i.e. your GPS degree plan) and a valid photo ID to your appointment. Failure to bring necessary documents will require you to reschedule your appointment.
Students are strongly encouraged to meet with their advisor at least once per semester preferably prior to the start of registration.
It is imperative you visit with an advisor at any point you are experiencing the following:
- Your cumulative grade point average (GPA) falls below a 2.0.
- You are thinking about changing your career and educational goals.
- You are having trouble in any of your courses.
- You are thinking about dropping out of college.
In order to receive your registration PIN, you must meet with your assigned advisor. A PIN will not be provided to you until you have completed your advising session.
- Be courteous and plan ahead (schedule appointments early and cancel or reschedule as necessary).
- Silence your cell phone prior to advising appointment/walk-in session.
- Take notes during advising meetings and keep written records of your advising sessions.
- Assist you with course selection based on educational and career goals.
- Encourage and guide you to define clear and realistic educational plans using your Alamo GPS.
- Ensure that you are part of the decision-making process, provide and understand your next steps.
- Provide you with referrals when necessary.
- Listen carefully to your questions and concerns.
- Monitor and accurately document your academic progress.
- Maintain confidentiality following NVC and Federal Education Right to Privacy Act (FERPA) regulations.
- Understand and effectively communicate the curriculum, degree/school requirements, graduation requirements, and college policies and procedures.
- Provide a safe, respectful, and confidential space for you to ask questions, discuss your interests, and express your concerns.
The Academic Advising office at Northwest Vista College is committed to providing quality academic advising services and information about available resources to support students in achieving their desired goal. We will guide students towards completion of a certificate and/or Associate degree and support their transition to a four year institution or the workforce.
- Advisors do not provide mental health counseling, but will make referrals, when necessary.
- Advisors will not register you for your classes.
- Advisors will not choose your career or your classes for you.
If you have a quick question you may drop by the Advising Services counter for a short 15 minutes or less session. If your questions require more time than this, please make an appointment instead. Advisors see walk-in students on a first-come, first-served basis. During high peak times (the first week of the semester, registration periods, and deadlines periods) wait times can be considerable.
Walk-In Quick Services include:
- Student Holds
- Pre-requisite overrides
Once walk-in sessions are filled, the advising sign in will close for the day. You also have the option of utilizing our Chat service for quick questions. You may speak with someone online by clicking on the “Chat with Us” link to the right of this page.
The Advising Communications Center is available by phone to answer general advising questions and provide guidance regarding advising holds. The Advising Communications Center can be reached at 210-486-4100. Advising appointments cannot be scheduled through the Advising Communications Center.
- Academic Dismissal Petitions
- Alternate ID (Registration PIN)
- Assistance with Holds
- Career Exploration
- Change of Major
- Course Overload Petitions
- Degree Planning
- Financial Aid Appeal
- Graduation Application
- Individual Success Plan (GPS Planner)
- Prerequisite Overrides
- Transfer Planning
- Bring your advising folder with all necessary materials and paperwork for the session.
- That you will research programs, career options, transfer universities in advance and be ready to review.
- Be prepared to discuss goals and educational plans during your advising session.
- Read all of your email in ACES. This is the official communication method from the Alamo Colleges District for students.
- Be aware of deadlines regarding registration, financial aid and tuition, adding or dropping classes, and application for graduation or petitions for Academic Dismissal.
- Ask questions if something is not clear or you have a concern during the advising session.
- Be open and willing to consider all options and recommendations given during session.
- Be an engaged and active learner in your educational journey.
- Inform your Certified Academic Advisor of important changes that directly affect your academic performance and educational goals.
- Schedule your advising appointment early in the semester.
- Be courteous and respectful at all times.
- Take primary responsibility for making your own decisions.
- Commit to an academic plan that supports certificate and/or degree completion and/or successful transfer. Commit to Completion.
- Be familiar with and abide by the Alamo Colleges District Student Code of Conduct.
Thanksgiving Holiday 2019
The college will be closed from Thursday, November 28 through Sunday, December 1. We will reopen on Monday, December 2.
Walk-In Services are available:
Fall 2019 Hours
General Hours of Operation
Fall 2019 Hours
First Saturday of the Month: 9:00am-1:00pm
Note: Appointments are not available the same day, they must be scheduled a minimum of 24 hours in advance.
Enrollment Management is now held at the Records Office. It is no longer at Advising.
The Advising Services office may be reached by phone at 210-486-4100. Please be able to provide your full name, and banner ID when requesting specific information.
The Academic Advising Services are located in Cypress Campus Center (CCC) in the first floor hallway, directly past Student Financial Services. Please visit the Advising Services Check-in Window for assistance.