Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some frequently asked questions about New Student Orientation and the Advising and Registration process.

If you still have any questions, please contact the Vista Central: Welcome & Admissions Center.


New Student Orientation

Are New Student Orientation Sessions mandatory?

Yes, New Student Orientation is a mandatory registration step for all first time in college students.

Northwest Vista College is committed to creating opportunities for student success and we believe New Student Orientation lays the foundation for this journey. In addition to receiving valuable information about resources and services that will help you be successful, you will also attend your first advising session to register for courses. Students who do not attend and complete a New Student Orientation session will not be allowed to register for classes.

Students transferring to NVC do not need to attend New Student Orientation.

When will I meet with an Academic Advisor?

You will have your first advising session during New Student Orientation. Although the session is conducted in a group format, advisors, faculty, and staff will be available to support you and answer your questions as you register. After your New Student Orientation session, you will receive an assigned academic advisor based on the major you select. You will receive an email to your ACES student email notifying you who your advisor will be, and you can also locate your advisor's contact information in your ACES account under the "My Page" tab.

I got my Bacterial Meningitis shot, but I haven't submitted it. Can I still attend the New Student Orientation?

All students age 22 and younger must submit proof of the Bacterial Meningitis vaccination.

To submit documentation visit AlamoNAVIGATE and select “Turn in Shot Record”.

Can I bring guests?

Yes! You are encouraged to bring family and/or support members to help you develop a support network early in your college career.

Please note parents/guests will be separated from you during your advising presentation—they will have their own special presentation designed to educate them on ways to assist you through the college transition!

Their presentation will also help your support network become familiar with NVC and its many resources.

What should I bring for New Student Orientation?

Besides enthusiasm and pride, it is recommended that you bring a notepad for jotting down information, as well as any questions or concerns they may have. Pens will be provided.

Visit verification forms for your school and FERPA forms for release of student record information (important for parents/guardians) will also be provided as needed.

Photo IDs will also be needed for session sign in and for FERPA form processing so please have them available.

Where will my New Student Orientation - First Time in College Advising Session be held?

All New Student Orientations will be held on the Northwest Vista Campus. Students do not require a parking permit and may park in any parking lot. The confirmation email you receive after signing up for your NSO will provide details on the specific time, date, and location for your session. If you did not receive the email or have questions about your session, please contact the Vista Central: Welcome and Admissions Center at 210-486-4125 or

Where can I park?

You are welcome to park for free in any open (and legal) spot in one of our parking lots or parking garage. A parking permit is not required. Check your confirmation email to locate the building your orientation will be held in.

View Campus Maps

What if I or my guest need Special Accomodations?

If you or your guest(s) have a disability or circumstances that require special accommodations during New Student Orientation, please call our Access office at 210-486-4466 or by email at

Can I just show up to orientation without registration?

No. Space is limited for each session. Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate students who are walk-ins or are not confirmed for a session. Reservations are on a first-come, first reserved basis.

I may arrive late or need to leave my session early. Do I have to attend the entire session?

Yes, you are expected to arrive on time and attend the entire session to register and successful complete your New Student Orientation requirement.

Special College Prep Course Information:

If you have recently completed a college prep Math and/or English course at your high school, you will be responsible for submitting your official FINAL high school transcript to Admissions and Records to change placement status (if different than status at time of registration). Screening for this will be conducted during your New Student Orientation session.


Enrollment, Advising, and Registration

Does Northwest Vista College accept AP scores?

Yes. Students who receive a 3 or higher on an Advanced Placement (AP) test should submit their official score reports through CollegeBoard to receive credit.

Visit CollegeBoard

Does NVC Accept Dual Credit taken at another college or University?

Yes. Dual credit courses completed at an accredited non-Alamo Colleges District institution may still be accepted. Students will need to request to have official transcripts sent to NVC.

Students may submit official transcripts three ways:

  • In Person: Hand-deliver transcripts to the Records and Residency Office in CCC 100 or at Vista Central. Transcripts MUST be in a sealed envelope. Open transcripts will not be accepted.   

  • Electronically: Schools can send electronic PDF transcripts to NVC through a secure server such as Parchment, ESCRIPT-SAFE, or National Student Clearinghouse and Transcripts using email address

  • By Mail: Mail sealed official transcripts to NVC at 3535 N. Ellison Dr., San Antonio, TX 78251. Please mark transcripts “ATTN: Records and Transcripts.”