Verification is a review process that confirms the accuracy of student reported data on financial aid applications. Selection occurs by the U.S. Department of Education and is completed by the financial aid office.
Selected students are required to complete the verification process before financial aid eligibility can be determined.
The accuracy of the following data elements reported by you, or your parent(s), or your spouse, on the FAFSA are confirmed through verification. This is confirmed primarily through the submission of IRS tax information.
- Adjusted gross income (AGI)
- U.S. income tax paid
- Education credits
- Untaxed portions of IRA distributions
- Untaxed portions of pensions
- IRA deductions and payments
- Tax-exempt interest income Income earned from work
- Household size
- Number in college
- Identity/statement of educational purpose
If chosen for verification, you will find the requirement listed in your student ACES account. On ACES, verification will appear with a red flag in the 'Financial Aid Checklist' section of the 'My Page' tab. We will also send an email notifying you of items needed.
You will receive an introductory email from ProVerifier+ at your Alamo Colleges District email address. The email will contain instructions on creating a ProVerifier+ account to complete verification.
Look for an asterisk* next to your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) on your Student Aid Report (SAR) on the top right of the first page that is emailed to when you submit your FAFSA.
- On ACES, check the 'Financial Aid Checklist' section of ‘My Page’ to view your financial aid requirements.
- Follow the instructions provided by ProVerifier+ to complete and submit all requested documents.
- You will be asked to follow a URL link to the ProVerifier+ student portal and sign in with your Alamo email address.
- Be sure to check and complete all document requests in both the ProVerifier+ AND your ACES student portals.
After submitting your electronic documents, please allow up to 6 weeks for your documents to be processed and your eligibility determined. We will notify you by email once this process is completed.
Common mistakes that may extend the processing timeline include:
- missing Banner ID on all documents
- unsigned documents
- unreadable documents
- missing and incomplete documents
- unresolved issues on your FAFSA
The last day of the term for which you are enrolled in an academic year is the final date to submit verification documents.
The Alamo Colleges District uses ProVerifier+, a software of ProEducation Solutions, that enables you to complete verification entirely online.
The following documents may be requested through ProVerifier+
- Verification Worksheet
- IRS Tax Transcripts or signed Tax Returns. Please note, ProVerifier+ can now connect directly with the IRS on your and/or your parent(s) behalf to obtain these official IRS tax transcripts. You and/or your parent(s) will only be required to electronically complete and eSign an IRS Form 4506-T/C Form provided by ProVerifier+.
Additional documents vary by situation (ex. Identity and Educational Purpose Statement, High School Completion proof, Child Support Paid, etc.)
You should expect to receive an email from ProVerifier+ in the following situations:
- Initial Email: generated when student is identified for verification processing
- Welcome Email: generated after student initially logs into the ProVerifier+ Student Portal
- Missing or Incomplete Email: generated every 5 days when documents are missing or incomplete
- Additional Documents Requested Email: generated when subsequent items are added to the student checklist
- Confirmation Email: generated when a form is successfully completed
- All Documents Submitted Email: generated when all verifications documents have been submitted by student
- Verification Corrections Email: generated when student’s file moves to the awaiting corrections queue
- Verification Completed Email: generated when ProVerifier+ completes verification
- Other custom messages as needed from ProVerifier+ or the ACD Financial Aid team by email, phone call, or text.
A Tax Return Transcript is an official document from the IRS listing all income tax information. If requested, you may obtain a Tax Return Transcript by logging into the IRS website.
Starting with 2021-22 FAFSA applications, you can complete a form with ProVerifier+ that allows them to obtain the document on your behalf.
If requested, a SIGNED copy of yours and/or your parent(s) 1040 tax return will satisfy the requirement.
The IRS Tax Return Transcript mentioned above will also still satisfy this request.
Independent students and parent(s) of dependent students who are chosen for verification and who did not file taxes, regardless of the amount of income (even zero), may be required to submit a Verification of Non-Filing (VONF) letter from the IRS.
If requested, you can obtain a Verification of Non-Filing by going to the IRS website and completing IRS Form 4506-T. Select Box 7 and submit the letter with your verification documents when received.
IF REQUESTED, individuals without a Social Security Number (SSN), Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), or Employer Identification Number (EIN) must provide a signed and dated statement certifying they do not have any of these. In addition, they will need to list the sources and amounts of earnings, other income, and resources used to support the household for the tax year. If applicable, a copy of the W-2, 1099, or other equivalent document for each source of employment must be provided.
Adobe Sign is a process that allows students and parents to electronically fill out and sign required financial aid documents via their ACES student portal, and subsequently send them to the correct office for processing.
For forms requested in your ACES student portal, yes, you have the option to obtain and submit a paper copy of the requested form to your College's Financial Aid office.
For all requests located within the ProVerifier+ student portal, verification will be completed 100% online and print forms will not be available.