Skills for Small Business
Alamo Colleges District is a proud partner of the TWC Skills for Small Business Grant. Through the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) Skills for Small Business program, up to $2 million from the Skills Development Fund is dedicated to the backbone of Texas' business community—our small employers. Small businesses can apply to TWC for training offered by Alamo Colleges District. TWC processes the applications and works with the college to fund the specific courses selected by businesses for their employees.
This exceptional opportunity supports businesses with fewer than 100 employees and emphasizes training for new workers, though it also it can also fund training for incumbent workers.
- Skills for Small Business emphasizes training newly hired employees, those who have been hired by the business up to twelve months prior to the date that TWC receives an application.
- The program pays up to $1,800 for each new employee being trained and $900 for existing employees per contract.
- Funding for training is for full-time, regular employees.
- All training must be provided by a public community or technical college, or the Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service (TEEX). No third-party vendor training is allowed.
- Training must be selected from active course catalogs/schedules— credit, continuing education, online, or other available unpublished courses.
- Employers must pay the prevailing wages in the local labor market for the trainees funded under the grant.
How to Apply
- Identify new or incumbent employees to be trained.
- Identify each employee’s job/occupational title and corresponding Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) Code. Employers may use O*NET-SOC Auto Coder to find the best match between job titles/descriptions and SOC-coded occupations.
- Identify employees' wages. Wages must meet or exceed the prevailing wage for the area where the business is located. TWC Wage Chart (Alamo Area)
- Identify the two-year public community or technical college nearest your location using the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board’s College Locator.
- Apply online in the upper right-hand corner.
- View the Skills for Small Business FAQ for additional information on completing and submitting applications to TWC.
- North American Industry Classification System (NAICS)
For assistance, contact TWC's Workforce Business Services staff at 877-463-1777 or SkillsforSmallBusiness@twc.texas.gov.
Kathy M. Fogle
Ph: (210) 485-0863