Academic Dismissal Petition Process
What is the process to Petition at Northwest Vista College?
Students petitioning to return from Academic Dismissal need to complete the following:
Students must plan on attending Northwest Vista College. Petitions are only reviewed if you will be enrolling as a Northwest Vista student. Students wishing to petition at a different Alamo College must submit the petition to that institution.
Click here to view the Academic Dismissal Checklist (The new Academic Dismissal Checklist will be available on April 1st 2020)
Students must have an active application for the semester you are submitting a petition.
Students who have not been enrolled within twelve (12) months of their petitioning semester are required to complete the Admissions process. This step must be completed first in order to proceed with the remaining petition process steps. You may view information on how to complete the Admissions process online at https://www.alamo.edu/nvc/admissions-and-aid/how-to-apply/transfer/
- Students must not have any holds on your record other than the Academic Dismissal hold.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you are under the age of 22, state law now requires you to provide proof of Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination. For more information visit www.alamo.edu/meningitis/.
The last day to submit an application for admission for the spring 2020 sixteen week semester is Monday, January 2nd, 2020. Applications submitted after January 2nd will not qualify for the spring petition process.
Complete the Academic Dismissal Petition Information Form
Update- the link to complete the Petition Information form is no longer available. The link will be available April 1st for the fall 2020 petition season. Once you have completed the admissions process, you may proceed with the next step, which is to fill out and submit the Academic Dismissal Petition form online at Take a survey. The form is important as it will ask you the following information which will be utilized give you the best possible experience with our dismissal process.
- Preferred Contact Number
- Preferred days, times and method for your Dismissal Interview
- Program you will be pursuing if approved
The form is able to be submitted online, and you will receive a response regarding your next steps within 48-72 business hours.
The last day to submit is Thursday, January 2nd, 2020.
Complete the P.A.S.S. Canvas Course
Once you have submitted the Academic Dismissal Petition Information form online, it will be reviewed by the Academic Standards team to ensure the admissions steps are completed. You will then be added to the Canvas course where you will receive information about the following:
- The Petition Packet Requirements
- The Dismissal Interview
- What will be expected of you as the student if your petition is approved
- Transfer-Returning Student Orientation to Northwest Vista College
Upon completion of the canvas course, you will be able to submit your petition packet.
The last day to be added to the PASS Canvas course is Friday, January 3rd, 2020.
The last day to complete all portions up to step 3 is Monday, January 6th by 5pm.
Submit the Dismissal Petition Packet
Packet packets will be accessible and submitted through the Canvas course upon completion of all the modules. When you are submitting be sure that your packet:
- Is completed in full- incomplete packets will not be considered eligible to move forward to the Dismissal Interview.
- Reflection Statement and Packet are typed- do not submit handwritten documents.
- Transfer Students (Non-Alamo)- be sure to include a copy of your prior college transcript with your petition packet.
- Please check your ACES email frequently for updates regarding your petition status.
- For more information on the Petition Packet, please review the Academic Dismissal Petition Packet Requirements page
Note: Submission of incomplete packets will delay the petition process, as you will not be able to be scheduled for a Dismissal Interview until a completed packet has been resubmitted. Depending on the volume of packets received, it may take 1-2 business weeks for review. In order to ensure you are able to complete the petition process by the deadline, it is recommended that you begin the process early, and complete each step as soon as possible.
The last day to submit the completed petition packet and reflection statement is Monday, January 6th by 5pm.
Attend the Dismissal Interview
If your packet was submitted in full, you will be contacted via email to schedule your Dismissal Interview. Dismissal Interviews will begin Tuesday, November 19th,2019 and will conclude Friday, January 10th, 2020. Some things to consider:
- Interviews are scheduled in order of submission- on a first-come, first served basis.
- In order to ensure you are guaranteed an opportunity to conduct an interview session with an advisor you must complete all portions of the Dismissal process by the priority deadline: December 1st.
- Missed interviews without prior notification will result in an automatic denial of your petition for the semester.
Academic Standards Team
The following information is for the upcoming Spring 2020 semester:
Spring 2020 Priority Deadline
December 1st, 2019
Students who complete all steps of the petition process by the priority deadline are guaranteed a dismissal interview.
Spring 2020 Absolute Last Day to Submit
January 6th, 2020
Students who submit their packet after December 1st, 2019 and by January 6th, 2020 by 11:59 pm are reviewed on a first-come-first-served basis in order of process completion.
The College will be closed:
Friday, October 25th, 2019- Employee Development Day (check with your instructor regarding evening courses)
Thursday, November 28-Sunday, December 1st in observance of the Thanksgiving Holiday
Thursday, December 19th, 2019 -January 1st, 2020 -Winter Break
Walk-In Services are available:
Fall2019 Hours Mondays: 8am-12pm Thursdays: 1:00pm-6:00pm
General Hours of Operation
Spring 2019 Hours Monday-Wednesday: 8:00am-5:00pm Thursday: 8:00am-7:00pm Friday: 1:00pm-5:00pm
Every 1st Saturday of every month: 9:00-1:00pm
Note: Appointments are not available the same day, they must be scheduled a minimum of 24 hours in advance.
The Advising Services office may be reached by phone at 210-486-4100. Please be able to provide your full name, and banner ID when requesting specific information.
The Academic Advising Services are located in Cypress Campus Center (CCC) in the first floor hallway, directly past Student Financial Services. Please visit the Advising Services Check-in Window for assistance.