Academic Dismissal Petition Process
What is the process to Petition at Northwest Vista College?
Students petitioning to return from Academic Dismissal need to complete the following:
Students must plan on attending Northwest Vista College. Petitions are only reviewed if you will be enrolling as a Northwest Vista student. Students wishing to petition at a different Alamo College must submit the petition to that institution.
Click the Academic Dismissal Checklist to obtain a PDF version of the directions.
Students must have an active application for the semester you are submitting a petition.
Students who have not been enrolled at an Alamo College within twelve (12) months of their petitioning semester are required to complete the Admissions process. This step must be completed first in order to proceed with the remaining petition process steps. You may view information on how to complete the Admissions process online by clicking on the Application and Enrollment Steps for Transfer and Former Students
- Students must not have any registration holds on their record other than the Academic Dismissal hold or Title IX hold.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you are under the age of 22, state law now requires you to provide proof of Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination. For more information visit Bacterial Meningitis
The Spring 2023 application has been available since September 1st, 2022. The last day to submit an application for admission for the Spring 2023 16-week semester is Monday, January 2nd, 2023. Applications submitted after January 2nd will be reviewed on a case by case basis to determine if it can be processed in time to qualify for the Spring 2023 petition process.
Complete the Academic Dismissal Petition Information Form
Once you have completed the admissions process, you may proceed with the next step, which is to fill out and submit the Academic Dismissal Petition Information Form online. You may click the link above, or use the QR code to complete:
The form is important as it will ask you the following information which will be utilized to give you the best possible experience with our dismissal process:
- Information required to add you to the PASS Canvas Course
- Contact Information
The form will be available November 1st to be submitted online, and you will receive an invitation to the course via ACES email within 4-5 business days. No additional emails will be sent unless there was an issue regarding being added to the course. Emails will be the primary method of communication and all notifications will be sent to your ACES student email.
The last day to submit a completed Petition Information form for spring is Tuesday, January 3rd, 2023. You are highly encouraged to complete this step as soon as possible, as due to high volumes, late submission may delay your ability to be added to the canvas course.
Complete the P.A.S.S. Canvas Course
Once you have submitted the Academic Dismissal Petition Information form online, it will be reviewed by the Academic Standards team to ensure the admissions steps have been completed and you are ready to be added to the course. Once you have been added to the course, you will receive an invitation to join the course via your ACEs email. Because this course is directly tied to your student profile, you cannot be added to the course with a personal email. You are added to the course within 4-5 business days of submitting your form. When you accept the invitation send via your ACES student email, you will be able to:
- See a video overview of the PASS course
- Review Petition Packet Requirements
- Learn about what to expect during the Dismissal Interview
- Learn how to schedule a Dismissal Interview
- Learn more about what will be expected of you as the student if your petition is approved
- Review the Transfer-Returning Student Orientation to Northwest Vista College
Upon completion of the canvas modules, you will be able to access and submit your petition packet documents via the canvas course. If you would like step by step directions, please click on Accepting the Invitation to the PASS Canvas Course document.
What technology will I need in order to complete this course?
The best way to view the course and complete the documents needed are by using a computer. While phones these days are like mini computers, they are still limited in their ability to show you all the information in a clear manner, enable you to view pages and complete submissions at the same time, and view feedback provided by the AST team. If you do not own a personal computer, you may utilize a computer on campus by visiting our open computer lab.
Students will begin being added to the course November 7th. The last day to be added to the PASS Canvas course is Wednesday, January 4th, and the course must be completed in full by Saturday, January 6th, 2023. Only students with completed applications and submitted Information Forms will be added to the Canvas course.
Submit the Dismissal Petition Packet
Petition packets are only accessible and submitted through the Canvas course upon completion of all the modules. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to access and complete the forms. A free version of Adobe is available here. When you are submitting be sure that your packet:
- Is completed in full- incomplete packets will not be considered eligible to move forward to the Dismissal Interview.
- Reflection Statement, Dismissal Petition Waiver, and Time Matters Activity are typed- do not submit handwritten documents, pictures of the documents, or any format other than Word (Reflection Statement) and PDF (Waiver form and Time Matter Activity).
- Transfer Students (Non-Alamo)- be sure to include a copy of your prior college transcript with your petition packet.
- Please check your ACES student email frequently for updates regarding your petition status.
- For more information on the Petition Packet, please review the Academic Dismissal Petition Packet Requirements page
Note: Submission of incomplete packets will delay the petition process, as you will not be able to be scheduled for a Dismissal Interview until a completed packet has been resubmitted. Depending on the volume of packets received, it may take 1-2 business weeks for review. In order to ensure you are able to complete the petition process by the deadline, it is recommended that you begin the process early, and complete each step as soon as possible. Feeback regarding missing or incorrect submissions are provided through the Canvas course.
The last day to complete all portions of the packet as directed is Saturday, January 6th by 11:59 pm.
Attend the Dismissal Interview
If all portions of the PASS course were completed as directed, you will receive information and a link to schedule your interview via your ACES email. Dismissal Interviews will begin Wednesday, November 16th, and will conclude Friday, January 13th, 2023. Some things to consider:
- Interviews are scheduled in order of submission- on a first-come, first served basis.
- In order to ensure you are guaranteed an opportunity to interview with an advisor, you must complete all portions of the Dismissal process by the priority deadline: December 1st, 2022
- Missed interviews without prior notification will result in an automatic denial of your petition for the semester. If you must change your scheduled appointment date, please notify the Academic Standards team at email@example.com as soon as possible.
- Upon completion of the canvas course and submission of all documents as directed, you will be added to the interview campaign and a link to schedule your interview is sent to you via ACEs. It is important that you be checking your email regularly and schedule your session as soon as possible. Interviews must be scheduled a minimum of 24 hours in advance, therefore once all interview spots are filled, we cannot proceed with your petition.
Academic Standards Team- email us directly at:
If you would like your questions addressed by phone, please call the Advising Call Center at (210) 486-4100.
The following information is for the Spring 2023 16-week semester:
Thursday, December 1st, 2022
Students who complete all steps of the petition process by the priority deadline are guaranteed an opportunity to interview.
Absolute Last Day to Submit
January 6th, 2023
Students who completed all steps after December 1st up to January 6th are reviewed on a first-come-first-served basis in order of process completion. Interview sessions are limited.
The following information is for the Fall 2023 semester:
Information regarding the fall 2023 semester will be available online beginning April 1st, 2023.