Third Academic Dismissal
What happens if I am placed on a Third or Permanent Academic Dismissal from the Alamo Colleges District?
A 3rd Academic Dismissal occurs when students who were on 2nd Academic Dismissal are not successful in the petitioning semester, and receive a semester GPA below 2.0 and/ or do not meet all of the petition requirements. Students will receive a notification via ACES email informing them once final grades have posted. Students with three or more Academic Dismissals are not eligible to petition or enroll for a minimum of one (1) full Academic Year (Fall, Spring, Summer). After sitting out the required length of time, students must submit a completed petition packet to the Academic Standards Appeals committee a week prior to the posted deadline by email at email@example.com (see deadlines to the right). The committee must receive the dismissal packet by email 7 business days prior to the deadline to be able to review and schedule a Dismissal Interview. Information regarding the Alamo Colleges District Academic Standing policy can be found online at Academic Standing and Probation.
What are the eligibility requirements for submitting a Third / Permanent Academic Dismissal petition?
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR SUBMITTING PETITION
- MUST have sat out one full academic year from last Academic Dismissal. One full year is a Fall, Spring and Summer Semester.(Example: Last attended Fall 2014, did not enroll Spring 2015, Summer 2015 or Fall 2015. Eligible to petition for Spring 2016 semester.)
- Only eligible to petition for a regular 16 week semester (Fall or Spring). Northwest Vista College does not accept petitions for Summer, Flex II or Start II semesters.
- Must have an active application for Northwest Vista College for the semester you are submitting a petition. If you have not attended in the last 12 months, you will need to submit a new application and complete all admissions requirements prior to submitting a petition. Please see AlamoEnroll for application and admissions steps.
- Must plan on attending Northwest Vista College. Petitions are only reviewed if you will be enrolling as a Northwest Vista student. Students wishing to petition at a different Alamo College must submit the petition to that institution.
- Must not have any holds on your record other than the Academic Dismissal hold. All other holds must be cleared/ waived prior to submitting your petition.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are under the age of 22, state law now requires you to provide proof of Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination. For more information visit : Bacterial Meningitis Information. This must be turned in prior to submitting your petition.
How do I submit a Third / Permanent Academic Dismissal petition packet?
Students will submit their completed petition packets by email at firstname.lastname@example.org Once your packet has been received it will be reviewed by the Academic Standards team to ensure that you have met all of the following requirements:
- All pages of the packet are completely filled out
- A typed Reflection Statement is included in the email submission
- Student has completed all admission requirements and is registration ready
- Dismissal packets must be completed in full with all sections filled out and an attached typed Reflection Statement when submitted. Acceptable file formats are PDF and Word. No other file formats are able to be viewed. Students who submit incomplete packets or do have not completed all eligibility requirements listed above will not have a Dismissal Interview scheduled until all requirements have been met.
Submit the petition from your student (ACES) email account only. Petitions submitted from your personal email account will not be reviewed. Petitions will not be accepted in person.
Students who meet all eligibility requirements are notified through their ACES email with information regarding their next steps. Students who do not meet all the requirements will be notified which requirements are lacking and asked to resubmit their packet once all requirements have been met. Dates for submitting petitions will be updated for each semester on this website (see box on right side).
**As we have limited spots each semester we highly recommend that you submit your packet as early in the petition period as possible. Once all Dismissal Interviews have filled, students will have to wait until the following semester to petition.
Before you submit your petition, please ensure that you meet all of the requirements above. Please make sure that you have followed all directions on the petition, and have a completed packet. No extensions on deadlines will be given.
Missed appointments, especially without prior notification, will only be rescheduled once, if Dismissal Interviews are available. A second missed appointment will result in automatic denial of your petition for the semester.
• If you are citing extenuating circumstances as to why you are on Academic Dismissal, include any relevant documentation with your packet.
• Read the Reflection Statement Requirements very carefully. There are three areas that you need to address in your essay. Please take time to reflect on what events, actions and decisions resulted in your current academic standing. Remember to discuss all issues and semesters that you were having trouble in.
• Please make sure to address what changes you have made, and detail your plan to be academically successful.
• Your essay MUST be typed, handwritten essays will not be considered. See the Reflection Statement example in the petition packet as to the format of the essay.
How and when will I know the decision on my petition?
Decisions are normally made within 2-3 weeks of the Dismissal Interview. All decisions will be sent only to the student's ACES email. It is important to check this email on a regular basis to ensure you receive all communications from Alamo Colleges District.
You will be notified of this decision via ACES email only.
- You will be required to adhere to all petition requirements indicated on the Contract for Student on Academic Dismissal. Failure to complete all requirements will result in non-compliance for your petition and you will have to sit out a full academic year. No exceptions will be made.
- Be assigned an academic advisor
You will be notified of the decision and reason via ACES email only.
What are my responsibilities as a student on a Third / Permanent Academic Dismissal from the Alamo Colleges District?
Students who are approved for re-admission must adhere to the following as outlined on their Contract for Students on Academic Dismissal:
- Actively attend and participate in ALL enrolled classes, including the SDEV0171 course (if applicable)
- Complete the SDEV0171 course with a “C” or better (if applicable)
- Complete the Level 1 Certification of the Learning 2 Lead Program
- Visit with their assigned academic advisor at least once during the semester, preferably prior to the start of registration for the next semester
- Earn a semester GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Continually earn a semester GPA of 2.0 or above until Good Standing (cumulative institutional GPA of 2.0) is reached in order to remain enrolled.
In addition to the policies above, students previously enrolled in a semester prior to petitioning will be required to reduce their course loads to the maximum 6-8 credit hours.
What if I do not meet all the requirements of the petition?
Students who do not meet ALL requirements will be required to sit out a full academic year. There is no option to petition the sit-out requirement once a student is placed on a Third/Permanent Academic Dismissal. Once the required sit out period is over, you will be eligible to submit a new petition.
When will I be back in Good Academic Standing?
Students are placed back in Good Academic Standing when both their overall institutional and semester GPA’s are a 2.0 or higher. Once a student is back in Good Academic Standing their registration hold will be expired and their enrollment hours will be restored to full time.
Academic Standards Team
Walk-In Services are available:
Fall 2018 Hours
General Hours of Operation
Fall 2018 Hours
Note: Appointments are not available the same day, they must be scheduled a minimum of 24 hours in advance.
The Advising Services office may be reached by phone at 210-486-4100. Please be able to provide your full name, and banner ID when requesting specific information.
The Academic Advising Services are located in Cypress Campus Center (CCC) in the first floor hallway, directly past Student Financial Services. Please visit the Advising Services Check-in Window for assistance.
Attention Students: We are no longer accepting petitions for the fall semester at this time. The priority deadline to submit was August 6th, 2018. We encourage you to check back in November for information about the Spring petitioning semester.
Note: All petition packets must be submitted by email at email@example.com by the deadline. Please read all information regarding submission of your packet carefully. Dismissal Interviews are limited - once all sessions and SDEV 0171 course offerings are full, petitions will no longer be accepted - regardless of the deadline date.