Second Academic Dismissal
What happens if I am placed on a 2nd Academic Dismissal from the Alamo Colleges District?
A 2nd Academic Dismissal occurs when students who were on first Academic Dismissal are not successful in the petitioning semester, and receive a semester GPA below 2.0 and/ or do not meet all of the petition requirements. Students will receive a notification via ACES email informing them once final grades have posted. Students placed on 2nd Academic Dismissal will be required to sit out one (1) full 16 week semester (Spring or Fall) as per the Alamo Colleges District policy found at: Academic Standing and Probation. After one full 16-week semester, students must submit a completed dismissal petition packet via email for a fall or spring 16 week semester. No Flex II, Start II or summer petitions are accepted at Northwest Vista College.
What are the eligibility requirements for submitting a 2nd Academic Dismissal petition packet?
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR SUBMITTING A PETITION:
- MUST have sat out one (1) full 16 week semester from last Academic Dismissal. An example: Last attended Spring, Summer or Fall 2016, eligible to petition for Spring 2018 semester.)
- Only eligible to petition for a regular 16 week semester (Fall or Spring). Northwest Vista College does not accept petitions for Summer, Start II or Flex II semesters.
- Must have an active application for Northwest Vista College for the semester you are submitting a petition. If you have not attended in the last 12 months, you will need to submit a new application and complete all admissions requirements prior to submitting a petition. Please see AlamoEnroll for application and admissions steps.
- Must plan on attending Northwest Vista College. Petitions are only reviewed if you will be enrolling as a Northwest Vista student. Students wishing to petition at a different Alamo College must submit the petition to that institution.
- Must not have any holds on your record other than the Academic Dismissal hold. All other holds must be cleared/ waived prior to attending your Dismissal Interview session.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are under the age of 22, state law now requires you to provide proof of Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination. For more information visit : Bacterial Meningitis Information. This must be turned in prior to submitting your petition.
If you are not sure which level of dismissal you are on, please contact the Academic Standards team at firstname.lastname@example.org to send a request to review your record. Please include your full name and banner id in the message.
How do I submit a 2nd Academic Dismissal petition?
Students will submit their completed petition packets by email at email@example.com Once your packet has been received it will be reviewed by the Academic Standards team to ensure that you have met all of the following requirements:
- All pages of the packet are completely filled out
-A typed Reflection Statement is included in the email submission
-Student has completed all admission requirements and is registration ready
Dismissal packets must be completed in full with all sections filled out and an attached typed Reflection Statement when submitted. Acceptable file formats are PDF and Word. No other file formats are able to be viewed. Students who submit incomplete packets or do have not completed all eligibility requirements listed above will not have a Dismissal Interview scheduled until all requirements have been met.
Submit the petition from your student (ACES) email account only. Petitions submitted from your personal email account will not be reviewed. Petitions will not be accepted in person.
Students who meet all eligibility requirements are notified through their ACES email with information regarding the Pre-Petition Information session. Students who do not meet all the requirements will be notified which requirements are lacking and asked to resubmit their packet once all requirements have been met. Dates for submitting petitions will be updated for each semester on this website (see box on right side).
**As we have limited spots each semester we highly recommend that you submit your packet as early in the petition period as possible. Once all Dismissal Interviews have filled, students will have to wait until the following semester to petition.
Before you submit your petition, please ensure that you meet all of the requirements above. Please make sure that you have followed all directions on the petition, and have a completed packet. No extensions on deadlines will be given.
Missed appointments, especially without prior notification, will only be rescheduled once, if Dismissal Interviews are available. A second missed appointment will result in automatic denial of your petition for the semester.
• If you are citing extenuating circumstances as to why you are on Academic Dismissal, include any relevant documentation with your packet.
• Read the Reflection Statement Requirements very carefully. There are three areas that you need to address in your essay. Please take time to reflect on what events, actions and decisions resulted in your current academic standing. Remember to discuss all issues and semesters that you were having trouble in.
• Please make sure to address what changes you have made, and detail your plan to be academically successful.
• Your essay MUST be typed, handwritten essays will not be considered. See the Reflection Statement example in the petition packet as to the format of the essay.
How and when will I know the decision on my petition?
Decisions are normally made within one week of meeting with an advisor for your Dismissal Interview. Remember, submitting a petition does NOT guarantee your petition will be approved. All decisions will be sent to the student's ACES email only. It is important to check this email on a regular basis to ensure you receive all communications from Northwest Vista College.
- You will be required to adhere to all petition requirements indicated on the Contract for Student on Academic Dismissal. Failure to complete all requirements will result in non-compliance for your petition and you will have to sit out a full academic year. No exceptions will be made.
- The advisor will provide you with information via ACES email on steps to take in order to petition for an upcoming semester.
What can I expect to happen in my Dismissal Interview session?
Students will meet with an academic advisor to review their petition packet and discuss their plan to be successful. In the Dismissal Interview, you will work with an advisor to develop a Student Success Action Plan which will help you be successful in your returning semester and beyond. You will also be provided with a list of available resources on campus that will help you stay on the road to success. You will discuss the Strategies for Success (SDEV 0171) course if applicable, and the Road to Success module requirements. You will be asked to identify which SDEV 0171 course sections you may want to be enrolled in if your petition is approved. More information regarding this class will be provided in the Dismissal Interview.
If my petition is approved, what will be my next steps?
If your petition is approved, you will be notified through your ACES email with information regarding your next steps. You will then be able to register for 6-8 credit hours as discussed in the advising session. Your advisor will register you for the SDEV 0171 course if needed.
Your registration hold will be waived until the last day of self-registration to allow you to register for the rest of your classes for the petition semester, Utilizing the copy of the Schedule Builder that you and your advisor discussed will help you determine which classes you should register for.
What are my responsibilities as a student on a 2nd Academic Dismissal?
Students who are approved for re-admission must adhere to the following as outlined on their Contract for Students on Academic Dismissal:
- Actively attend and participate in ALL enrolled classes, including the SDEV0171 course (if applicable).
- Complete the SDEV0171 course with a “C” or better (if applicable).
- Complete a minimum of 2 Road to Success modules in Canvas by the indicated deadline.
- Visit with their assigned academic advisor at least once during the semester, preferably prior to the start of registration for the next semester.
- Earn a semester GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Continually earn a semester GPA of 2.0 or above until Good Standing (cumulative institutional GPA of 2.0) is reached in order to remain enrolled.
In addition to the policies above, students previously enrolled in a semester prior to petitioning will be required to reduce their course loads to the maximum 6-8 credit hours. If you have not reduced your enrollment hours by the first day of classes, the Academic Standards team will drop you from the last enrolled courses to reduce your course load to the maximum hours.
Students whose petitions are approved are provided a copy of their Student Success Action Plan and a detailed explanation of the responsibilities. Not complying with all the responsibilities will result in the student having to sit out one (1) full 16 week semester, and submit a new petition after the sit-out period. Not earning a semester GPA of 2.0 or higher will automatically place you on the next level of dismissal, and require you to sit out one full academic year (spring, summer, and fall). There is no option to petition the sit-out requirement once a student is placed on 3rd/Permanent Academic Dismissal. Once the required sit out period is over, you will be eligible to submit a new petition following the guidelines outlined at: Academic Standing and Probation.
When will I be back in Good Academic Standing?
Students are placed back in Good Academic Standing when both their overall institutional and semester GPA’s are a 2.0 or higher. Once a student is back in Good Academic Standing their registration hold will be expired and their enrollment hours will be restored to full time.
Academic Standards Team
Important Message: Advising Services will be closed beginning Wednesday, December 19th, at 12pm until Thursday, January 3rd, at 8am for the Winter Break. All Advising services will be unavailable during that time.
Walk-In Services are available:
Fall 2018 Hours
General Hours of Operation
Fall 2018 Hours
Note: Appointments are not available the same day, they must be scheduled a minimum of 24 hours in advance.
The Advising Services office may be reached by phone at 210-486-4100. Please be able to provide your full name, and banner ID when requesting specific information.
The Academic Advising Services are located in Cypress Campus Center (CCC) in the first floor hallway, directly past Student Financial Services. Please visit the Advising Services Check-in Window for assistance.
Attention Students: The petitions for Academic Dismissal are currently available online. We will begin accepting packets and scheduling interviews beginning Monday, November 12th, 2018. The priority deadline to submit a petition for the Spring 2019 16 week semester is Saturday, December 1st, 2018. The last day to submit a petition for Spring 2019 is Monday, January 7th- however please note that any submissions received after December 1st are not guaranteed an opportunity to interview.
Note: All petition packets must be submitted typed and by email at firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline. Please read all information regarding submission of your packet carefully. Dismissal Interviews are limited - once all sessions and SDEV 0171 course offerings are full, petitions will no longer be accepted - regardless of the deadline date.