Transfer Dismissal

Dismissal from another College/University

I was dismissed/suspended from another College or University. My advisor told me I need to complete hours at a Community College in order to transfer back.

If you are transferring to Northwest Vista College after being dismissed from another school (to include other colleges from the Alamo Colleges District), you will need to complete the Academic Dismissal process prior to being eligible to enroll in courses. No summer petitions are accepted at Northwest Vista College.

What is the process to Petition to come to Northwest Vista College?

Please view our Academic Dismissal Petition Process Page for more information.

Where do I  obtain a dismissal packet?

Please review the Academic Dismissal Checklist  for information to help you prepare for the petition process.

Academic Dismissal packets will be available through the PASS Canvas course (steps 3 and 4). Dismissal packets must be completed in full as directed in order to be considered. Acceptable file formats are PDF and Word. No other file formats are able to be viewed- this includes One Note and Google Docs. Students who submit incomplete packets or have not completed all eligibility requirements listed above will not have a Dismissal Interview scheduled until all requirements have been met, potentially resulting in the inability to enroll in the desired semester. If you have any questions about how to fill out any parts of the petition packet, you may contact the Academic Standards team by email at

Transfer students are required to submit an official copy of your prior college  transcript to NVC as part of the admissions process.

Important Information:
The Certified Academic Advisor will determine your eligibility and help you prepare a plan of action. 

Petitions for Waiver of Academic Dismissal are only accepted for the spring and fall semesters. We do not accept petitions for the summer semester. 

Please be aware that submission of a petition does not guarantee approval.

If you are planning to transfer back to your previous institution, we highly recommend you discuss the following items with your current advisor prior to enrolling at NVC: 

  • How many credit hours/ semesters do I need to complete successfully before I can transfer back?
  • Are there any specific courses that I should enroll in first while attending Northwest Vista College?
  • How will the courses I take at NVC impact my GPA there once I transfer back?
  • Once I have met all the necessary requirements, what is the process in order to transfer back?