College Work Study
The Work Study Program is a financial aid, need-based program that provides a student funds earned through part-time employment at a rate of $9.00 per hour. Students can work up to nineteen (19) hours per week.
The program allows both Full and Part-Time students to earn extra money to fund school related expenses while developing an interest in their career fields or academic areas.
To be eligible, students must meet the following requirements:
Must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours, 3 of these at their Home Campus
Must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
Steps to complete the Work Study Process:
- Access the Alamo Colleges Work Study application HERE.
- Select and apply for a job position at your Home College of Record. A resume will be required. If you need help with an outline for a resume, see link below: Example Community Base Basic Resume
- Once the application is completed and you have been confirmed eligible, the Alamo Colleges HR department will contact you by email via the email address used on your application to complete the necessary New Hire paperwork. Please also monitor your email spam folder for this email from the HR department.
- Once hired, view the Work Study Handbook.
Students are better able to find a job and design a schedule that complements their class schedule and study needs.
Also, while the earnings are taxable and must be reported on your Federal Income Tax Return (a W-2 is issued), work study program earnings are excluded from FAFSA income and therefore do not affect your future financial aid eligibility.
The majority of job opportunities involve working in various departments across your college campus, at the District Support Offices located off-site, and with non-profit organizations around the San Antonio area.
- Students can work up to nineteen (19) hours per week. At certain times of the year students can exceed the 19 hour weekly maximum while classes are in session and the student is enrolled. However, this must be approved in advance by the Financial Aid Office and also by the student's supervisor.
- The Federal Work Study pay rate is $9.00 per hour.
Although you may not see a Work Study award via your ACES portal, we encourage you to stop by your college's financial aid office to determine if you are eligible.
Yes, students who are interested in continuing employment after the spring semester may be able to work up to 19 hours per week in summer based upon availability of funds and departmental needs.
Students must meet the following requirements for summer eligibility:
- Be enrolled in a minimum of 6 hours
- Check with supervisor for position availability
- Complete the Summer Application via ACES
- Complete the following academic year’s FAFSA and any verification requirements
- Enroll for the following Fall semester
- Be in good SAP standing