Academic and career advising is a series of ongoing and intentional conversations among students, faculty, and staff that establish a pathway to the realization of educational, career, and life goals. Students are provided an advising syllabus that outlines the roles, responsibilities, and goals of both the student and advisor. To be prepared for registration, students should seek academic advising before beginning the registration process to become familiar with pre-requisites for courses, degrees and programs, and transfer opportunities.
Advising is required for:
- All first-time college students who have not previously attended college*
- Students who have earned college Dual Credit as high school students*
- Transfer college students to the Alamo Colleges District with fewer than fifteen (15) earned college semester credit hours*
- All students placed on Academic Probation or Dismissal
- Students who have completed 30+ hours or more
* These students are required to attend a group advising session.
Students are encouraged to consult with an academic advisor about degree plans, courses and other educational concerns if currently enrolled and pursuing a two-year degree program, planning to transfer to another college or university, or simply taking a few selected courses. In addition to course and degree requirements, policies and procedures are subject to change. Students are encouraged to stay informed of any changes that may affect them by meeting with an academic counselor/advisor regularly.
Transfer to College or University
Many students who enroll at the Alamo Colleges District plan to transfer to a college or university with upper-division or junior standing. During their enrollment at Alamo Colleges District, they are advised to fulfill the lower-division requirements for the college or university selected for their continued education.
The Alamo Colleges District's transfer services aid students in making their transfer experience a seamless process. It is the responsibility of all students to ensure that they take courses at the Alamo Colleges District that will be accepted by the transfer institutions they wish to attend.
Academic Advising Services Include:
- Pre & Post- Admissions Advisement
- Assessment Interpretation
- Information on Academic Programs
- Degree Planning and Requirements
- Course Placement and Selection
- Registration Assistance
- Advisement from a course
- Graduation Requirements
- Transfer Planning and Services
- Web Advising
Monday - Thursday
8 am. - 7 pm.
8 am. - 5 pm.
9 am. - 1 pm.
Call Center Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8 am. - 5 pm.