Testing staff are back on Campus!
Visit us at the Desert Willow Welcome Center, room 221 or call 210-486-4346.
We look forward to helping you.
Assessment and Testing Center
Welcome to the Assessment and Testing Office!
The Assessment & Testing Office provides testing services in support of our students in order to create opportunities for Student Success.
Assessment and Testing Center General Office Hours
Monday - Wednesday: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Thursday: 8:00am - 7:00pm
Friday: 1:00pm - 5:00pm
1st Saturday of Every Month: 9:00am - 1:00pm
Martin Luther King Day January 17
Spring Break March 14 - 18
Fiesta Holiday April 8
Easter Holiday April 15
Juneteen Holiday June 20
Independence Day July 4
Texas Success Initiative (TSI)
The Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Assessment is a state mandated placement exam, used to assess a student's proficiency in Writing, Reading, and Mathematics. For more detailed information on the TSI, please refer to the Student Informational Brochure.
If you have previously taken the TSI and need to submit scores to NVC please complete the Cross Institutional Reporting form, this allows NVC to pull your previous score report. Once we pull your scores we will follow up with you regarding your next enrollment steps.
You can also find your score report here.
$32 for a full exam
$24 for English Language Arts and Reading only (may also include essay)
$12 for Math only
$12 for Essay Retest only
TSI Assessment Scores
The TSI Assessment 2 (TSIA 2) College Level Placement Scores:
>= 945 and Essay >=5 or
< 945 and Diagnostic Level >= 5 and
Essay >= 5
>= 950 or
< 950 and Diagnostic Level 6
All students taking the TSI assessment must complete both the GoFAAAR and test prep modules located under the Start Here tab in your ACES account.
Collectively called the Pre-Assessment Activity, these online modules address:
- The importance of assessment in a student's academic career.
- Provide sample questions in all subject areas covered on the TSI.
- Offer information on developmental education options including course pairing, non-course based, modular and other non-conventional interventions.
- Information on institutional and community resources available to assist students with college success.
The pre-assessment activity must be completed prior to testing, NO EXCEPTIONS.
TSI Exemptions & Waivers
You may be eligible for an exemption or waiver from the TSI based on your previous college coursework, military experience or previous test scores. Do not take the TSI if any of the following apply to you:
You earned an associates degree or higher or you have an official transcript from an accredited institution with college-level math and English courses.
You were honorably discharged, retired, or released from active duty, Texas National Guard, or military reserves on or after August 1, 1990. You are on active-duty service in the US military, the Texas National Guard or as a reservist and have completed at least three years of service before enrolling at the Alamo College District.
Level 1 Certificate Program
You are seeking a certificate program of one year or less (42 or fewer semester credit hours). If you change your major or certificate level program then TSI requirements will apply.
Previous Test Scores
Students who meet qualifying standards on the SAT or ACT test may be eligible for an exemption. Scores are valid up to 5 years from date of testing.
Learn how to send your SAT scores by watching the video below.
Click here for additional exemption information.
In person testing is available on a walk-in basis
(no appointment necessary)
Monday – Wednesday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Thursday 8:30 am to 6:30 pm
Friday 1:30 pm to 4:30 pm
First Saturday of Every Month 9:30 am to 12:30 pm
*The TSIA 2 is currently available at no cost for students that have a Northwest Vista College application in D status. No Cost testing only applied to the initial administration and does not cover a retest. Students enrolling for the purpose of taking college courses while taking high school courses such a Dual Credit or Early Admit are not eligible for No Cost testing.
What to Expect On Test Day
Please bring the following items with you:
- Photo ID
- Form of Payment (We accept cash or card only)
- A locker will be provided for other personal belongings
- Masks are highly encouraged
How long does it take to complete the TSI Assessment?
The TSI Assessment is not a timed test. The average time to complete all sections of the test is about 4 hours. All TSI test must be completed within 14 days of starting your session.
How long does it take to receive my scores?
Students will receive a copy of their score report upon completion of their exam.
How long is my score valid?
TSI Assessment scores are valid for 5 years from the date of testing.
How can I prepare for the exam?
TSI practice questions provided by CollegeBoard
Northwest Vista College uses Examity to proctor the TSI Assessment on-line so students may take it from home. Examity is contracted with College Board which is the maker of the TSI Assessment. Please note TSI exam requests may be submitted 24 hours a day but will only be processed during normal business hours Monday through Friday 8 AM to 4 PM. Requests submitted after hours will be processed the following business day.
Examity On-line Proctoring Fee
In addition to the TSI Assessment Voucher fee, Examity charges its own Fee to provide on-line proctoring service. Students will pay this fee when scheduling their appointment with Examity.
If you would like to pursue the Examity option, use the following steps as your guide:
Step 1: Verify you meet the technology requirements
Google Chrome v39 or later, Firefox v34 or later, Internet Explorer v8 or later, Microsoft Edge, Apple Safari v6 or later. Please disable your pop-up blocker.
- Operating System:
Windows 7 or later, Mac OS 10.8 or later
– Desktop or laptop computer (tablets and Chromebooks are not supported)
– Built-in or external webcam, microphone and speakers
– 2GB or more of RAM
- Internet Connection:
An upload and download speed of 2Mbps
Test your computer requirements here
Step 2: Make sure you know the rules to take the TSI from Home
- You will be asked to show the same current and valid photo ID. Acceptable forms of ID include:
– Driver’s license, High School ID, Military ID, Middle School ID, State or federal approved ID, College ID, Passport, Tribal ID card, Naturalization card or certificate of citizenship.
- You must have a voucher number provided by ACCUPLACER.
- You must test alone in a quiet room without disruptions.
- The following are not allowed during testing:
– Food, drink, calculators, and breaks.
- Scratch paper is allowed along with a standard pen/pencil.
– You will be asked to show both sides of your scratch paper to the proctor at the beginning and end of your test session.
- A full list of prohibited items can be found here:
Step 3: Request to take the TSI from Home
If you have decided to move forward with Examity Proctoring Sevice, you MUST complete a TSI Assessment Voucher Request with Northwest Vista College. By completing the Voucher Request Form, you confirm you have read and understood the rules in Step 3. If you have not read Step 3 please go back and do so now. Reviewing the list of prohibited items before your exam date can help ensure a safe and secure testing session.
Step 4: Submit Payment
Once your request is received, the Testing Office will send you an email with instructions on payment for the TSI Assessment Voucher.
After payment has been made, you will then be emailed a TSI Assessment Voucher from College Board Accuplacer the maker of the Assessment.
Step 5: Set up an appointment with Examity after you receive your Voucher
You will receive your voucher by Email from Accuplacer. It will provide instructions on creating your account with Examity in order to make an appointment to take your TSI Assessment at home. You will need your voucher at that time.
You can use the one of the guides to create your profile when you get your Voucher.
If you are unable to create a profile, please contact Examity support team at 855-392-6489 or (firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance.
After TSI Testing
After you complete your exam
NOTE: This step may not apply to all students.
Students who take the TSI and do not place at college level will be required to take a refresher course before registering for classes.
The TSI Assessment 2 (TSIA 2) Refresher Course Scores:
910 -929 and Diagnostic Level 1-3
< 950 and Diagnostic Level <4
Refresher courses are offered at no charge but save time and money and offer the opportunity to move into higher level courses. Refresher courses must be scheduled in person. Visit the Readiness Center to schedule your refresher course.
Visit the Readiness Center in the Desert Willow Welcome Center (DWWC) Room 202.
First Time In College (FTiC) Students: FTiC students will register for classes at New Student Orientation (NSO).
Once all enrollment steps have been completed, sign up for NSO.
Transfer Students: Transfer students will register for classes and sign up for Transfer and Former Student Orientation.
Once all enrollment steps have been completed, sign up for Transfer Student Orientation.
AP and CLEP
The CLEP administration has been suspended
At this time our campus has suspended CLEP testing due to the COVID19 pandemic. CollegeBoard is offering a CLEP from Home virtual option - you can find more information here.
Please note you must select to have your scores sent to our campus when signing up for this option.
CLEP (College Level Examination Program)
The Northwest Vista College Assessment & Testing Office is a testing site for CLEP exams. If you are interested in taking a CLEP Exam, please review the available subjects listed on the CollegeBoard CLEP webpage.
- $20 NVC CLEP Proctoring Fee due on day of Test. Click Here to pay NVC CLEP Fee
- $89 College Board CLEP Fee Click Here to Create a College Board CLEP Account to Pay
- Be Sure to review our CLEP Policy Guidelines before committing to your purchase, our office cannot refund you for this purchase as it is made through CollegeBoard.
- To schedule a CLEP Exam - Suspended
- Show up at least 30 minutes ahead of scheduled time for CLEP Administration.
- Must have valid State/Government issued ID.
- Note: Biographical information on ID must match what is printed on CLEP Registration Ticket. Click Here for the CLEP Identification Policy
- Must have printed receipt for NVC CLEP Proctoring Fee
- Must have print out of CLEP Registration Ticket.
- Allow for at most 2 hours (3 hours if taking College Composition CLEP).
Awarding AP/CLEP Credits
Requirements to Award AP and CLEP Credit:
- Official Score Report from College Board must be sent to Northwest Vista College.
- Must meet the Credit by Exam Score Policy for AP and CLEP. Click Here to view CLEP/AP Credit Policy
- Notice - AP Statistic course credit to award is under review for Fall 2020 that will change from Math 1442 to Math 1342. Fall 2020 Catalog will be updated after review.
- Successfully completed 6 credit hours at Northwest Vista College.
- Students may not earn more than 45 total hours of non-traditional credit.
- Credit by exam may not be awarded for a course given a grade. Exceptions:
- If withdrawn from course before census, Credit by exam may be awarded,
- If withdrawn from course after census, must wait six months from last day of that term.
- Students must submit a Credit by Exam Request to the Northwest Vista College Testing Office, specifying the courses they want to be awarded using their AP and/or CLEP scores.