Latino-TALC at NVC
What is Latino-TALC?
The Latino Teacher Academy Learning Community (Latino-TALC) is a collaborative student support partnership between UTSA’s Academy for Teacher Excellence Research Center (ATE) and Northwest Vista College that provides services to help teacher candidates overcome barriers that may prevent them from completing their college education.
Participants in Latino-TALC include:
- NVC Students
- High School Students
- UTSA Undergraduates
The Latino-TALC program at NVC aids students who are pursuing a degree in Education with earning their Associate’s and transferring to UTSA. We strongly encourage high school and community college students to join the program prior to starting at UTSA in order to connect with support services and programs that will ease their transition to UTSA.
Benefits of Latino-TALC
- Technology resources & textbook assistance
- Online instructional resources on the eCommunity of Practice
- TExES study guide & preparation workshops
- Personalized Teacher Candidate Customized Plan
Professional Development & Training:
- Student Success Transition Series workshops during Fall and Spring semesters
- Summer Bridging Institute with UTSA
- STEMsation conference
- Support Through College & Career Transition Sessions and one-on-one Mentoring
- Opportunities to Present at Academic Conferences
Commitment for Joining:
- Attend professional development workshops
- Participate on the eCommunity of Practice website
- Complete three LIBRE models per semester
- Participants are asked to commit approximately two hours per month to Latino-TALC activities
Claudia Verdin, Ph.D.
Title V L-TALC Program Director
Professor of Mathematics
Associate Professor of Mathematics
Elsa O’Campo, Ph.D.
Mary Zocchi, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Mathematics
February 4 - 1:30 pm
Spring Kickoff Event
February 18 - 2:30 pm
Time Management - Elsa O'Campo, Ph.D.
March 4 - 1:00 pm
How to Motivate Students in Math- Javier Guerra & Claudia Verdin, Ph.D.
March 25 - 1:00 pm
Lesson Planning with Math & Art- Mary Zocchi, Ph.D.
April 1 - 1:00 pm
TExES Preperation- Javier Guerra
April 22 - 4:30 pm
Teacher Talks Panel- Facilitated. by Elsa O'Campo, Ph.D.