TRIO: Veteran Student Support
Fall 2020 - TRIO Services are now offered remotely
TRIO is available for "walk-in" from Monday-Friday, 9am-12pm via ZOOM
For inquiries about TRIO, you can reach us at:
(210)486-1418 | email@example.com | TEXT @triovets to 81010
To set up an appointment, reach out to TRIO staff directly:
Dr. DeWanna Greer, Director
Kyle DeStefano, Advisor
Julia Botello, Liberal Arts
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday: 10-3
Ralph Hernandez, Math
TRIO: VSSS, Project VALOR
Veterans Achieving Learning through Opportunity and Resilience
TRIO: Project VALOR is a Veteran Student Support Services Program at San Antonio College, tailored to provide to assist students in developing academic, social and personal skills through holistic services including tutoring, peer mentoring, academic support, career development and cultural enrichment. These initiatives coupled with a sense of belonging will contribute to a well-rounded and successful San Antonio College experience.
TRIO programs are funded under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and are administered by the U.S. Department of Education. These programs are designed to serve primarily individuals from low-income families where neither parent has earned a four-year college degree. Student Support Services is one of the original three TRIO programs, along with Educational Talent Search and Upward Bound. The Project VALOR program at San Antonio College serves 120 participants annually. Students with academic potential and motivation who also meet Federal income and first generation guidelines are eligible. Regular participation is required.
The TRiO VSSS program is offered at no cost to students. We provide academic and community support for student veterans studying at San Antonio College. APPLY TODAY!
Statistics indicate that students who participate in a TRIO program have a higher rate of success than those with similar backgrounds that do not participate. Students in the Student Support Services program, Project VALOR, are more than twice as likely to remain in college as students with similar backgrounds who do not participate in the program.
The Project VALOR Program at San Antonio College aims to assist students in developing academic, social and personal skills through holistic services including tutoring, peer mentoring, academic support, career development and cultural enrichment. These initiatives coupled with a sense of belonging will contribute to a well-rounded and successful San Antonio College experience.
The vision of Project VALOR is to retain and graduate its participants at the highest possible rate with the highest possible grade point average from San Antonio College.
- A point of contact for Veterans services, needs and resources
- Weekly or bi-weekly Student Mentoring via phone, email, text or office visits to discuss student progress and specific areas of concern
- Liaison for on and off campus services & referrals
- Individual Case Management
- Academic Advising and assistance with course selections
- Academic tutoring
- Academic Success Workshops
- Academic & Career Exploration
- Learning to Learn (learning styles, math anxiety, study tips, test-taking anxiety)
- Personal Management (time management, stress management, identifying goals)
- Online Learning
- Individualized Graduation Plan
- Access to Computer/Study Lab
- Assistance with applying for Financial Aid and completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid
- Assistance with identifying public and private scholarships
- Information and resources on using Financial Aid with VA Education Benefits
- Assistance in making the best use of GI benefits (including budgeting and financial management)
- Personal and family budget planning
- Cost planning for postsecondary education (e.g., spending, saving, personal budgeting)
- College cost of attendance (e.g., public vs. private, tuition vs. fees, personal costs)
- Financial Assistance (e.g., searches, application processes, differences between private and governmental loans)
- Four-year College & University Campus Visits
- College Transfer Fairs
- Leadership Training & Development opportunities
- Cultural Events
Monday - Friday
By Mail:Student Support ServicesSan Antonio College1819 N. Main, P.O. Box 702San Antonio, TX 78212
* Project VALOR is a federally funded TRIO Student Support Services-Veterans program